[TR] Utah, Provo Canyon - Stairway to Heaven - Provo Canyon 1/22/2008

FBCC

Trip: Utah, Provo Canyon - Stairway to Heaven - Provo Canyon

Date: 1/22/2008

Trip Report:

Just Got back from Salt Lake City thought I would share two great climbs we were lucky enough to get on.

if you get the chance 'Stairway to Heaven' is a must and the 'Great White Icicle' was classic as well.

Stairway to Heaven

Approach: Continue into the canyon on Hwy 189 park at

Nunn’s Park / Bridal Veil Falls Parking Area - About 4.5 miles up Provo Canyon. Park on the south side to approach the climbs.

20 minute hike from parking lot

Guide book Stats: 900' WI5 5 standard pitches all full 60m rope lengths except P4 and I think P5

on the lower Pitches the lower apron/curtains are wide so various lines possible

Conditions on the day climbed: Ice was Brittle temps in the single digits. Took long Screws fine.

P1 was WI3+-4 P2 was WI4 P3 was WI5 P4 Start WI4 then WI3 P5 never saw it as a slow party was ahead of us choking the only touched down column so we bailed

Belay and wrap station are bolted, bottom of 4th P has a solid tree

Need double 60m ropes for the wraps

hooked up with a great local climber Thanks Dallen!

Classic Climb great views

Below are a few pics

over view of climb:

Stairway_to_heaven_Provo_canyon_WI5_900_taken_from_road_P.JPG

First pitch:

Stairway_1st_pitch_CP.JPG

3rd pitch:

Stairway_to_Heaven_Beginning_of_third_pitch_Dallen_Ward_leading_C_P.JPG

Looking down from top of 3rd:

Looking_down_from_top_of_3rd_pitch.JPG

Warpping off second:

Stairway_to_Heaven_Dallen_Ward_wrapping_off_the_2nd_pitch.JPG

If interested other pics of the climb can be found here

http://picasaweb.google.com/Iceclimber39/StairwayToHeavenProvoCanyonUtah

climb safe

Andy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics of both climbs--looks like a rad trip. Do you have any idea how long the season lasts there? The cottonwoods run mostly E-W, right? So, are these climbs north facing or south? Any recommended guide books for the area?

I'll be heading there in early March though I suspect that's much too late. Probably desert climbing weather...

I actually just got on this one two days ago. Great climb, but make sure you're there before the junk show arrives.

The Utah ice climbing (Falcon press?) and the mixed guide for Provo and Santaquin Canyons will get you headed to the right spots.

I would venture a guess that early March will still be ice climbing time.

Hey Farrgo

So you did head out there anyway. there were so many other climbs that I got to see, but did not have enough time to get on. I also heard that Joes Valley about 2 1/2 hours south is a great location as well. Its great that you got the chance to climb stairway what else did you get on while you were out there??

There's actually been quite a bit of snow as of late and some warm temps, so its not exactly what I've dreamed. Maple Canyon is having a very fat year, we climbed Get Whacked and Cobble Crusher and had a go (unsuccessful) on Frankenchrist. With over a foot and half of snow in the forcast for tonight its either gonna be some sheltered mixed climb or a skiing day.

FYI the fifth pitch of STH was definatly worth it, solid 5. The sixth pitch is short, bolt protected, and only partly formed. Regardless it would go with just a few burly moves.