[TR] Ellensburg Washington - Umptanum falls 1/19/2008

FBCC

Trip: Ellensburg Washington - Umptanum falls

Date: 1/19/2008

Trip Report:

I just wanted to make sure to get this TR on the net due to the fact that, last week when I was looking for info or pics on this area I could not find anything of worth on the net, so here it is

I took my neighbor out for his first time on ice and we deffinatley have another convert to ice. Umptanum is a great place to get introduced to the sport. Short approach, no avi danger, plenty of stray ice bulges to practice swinging etc. before tying in, and solid natural anchors for setting up a Top Rope.

Trip Date: January 19th

Approach: from Parking lot walk 20 minutes level - slightly down hill to top of falls

Areas: Main Falls 30' WI2 - various lines possible /// Snow Fed Drip 35-40' WI3 - Various Lines Possible /// Various practice Ice Buldges on walk down to base of falls.

Conditions on day of climb: Main Falls- not solid, a lot of water running behind it, access pool at bottom not frozen. /// Snow Fed Drip- picked out a bit 3-3+ with a thinner harder start toward the middle and left side of the Drip.

Area photo overview below:

Umptanum_068_Labeled_C.JPG

Main Falls Below:

Umptanum_Falls_Proper_Shot_from_top_of_Snow_fed_drip_opposite_falls.jpg

My Neighbor John on the Snow Fed Drip across from the main falls

Umptanum_089_C.jpg

Marla climbing the same Drip: picture taken looking down from the top of Umptanum falls

Umptanum_119_C.jpg

Some of the ice bulges that can be found on the decent trail to the bottom of the falls

Umptanum_Practice_Buldges_C.jpg

if interested more pics of the area and day can be viewed at

http://picasaweb.google.com/Iceclimber39/UmptanumFallsEllensburgWa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic