My ultimate dream is being unsatisfied...help!!

Darasius

Since everyone is trying their absolute hardest to provoke a reaction from me, allow me to provide some (even further) clarification.

1. I have no car. Therefore I have no convenient means of transportation. In order to climb, I have to kind of get to my outdoor destinations of choice. As a result, most times I'm stuck wanting to go on adventures but realizing that (gasp!!) I have no way to get there!!! Which makes it essential that I meet people and organize trips with them.

2. If I could, I would do this on my own. I would get out there, practice and climb until I die of exhaustion because I freaking LOVE it so much. I live for it, and being stuck in school is not making me a very happy camper.

3. I do not get along with people too well, and I am kind of a shy person, so I view this forum as a way in which I could get my word out there and maybe get in touch with some people in my area or nearby that want to organize trips. As long as we have a shared purpose(to climb mountains), I can get along with people just fine. Also, the biggest point to me posting in this forum is to get advice and suggestions. I know its stupid to meet random strangers and then venture out into the middle of wilderness with them, but my objective is to organize trips with small expedition teams(4-5 members). That way if one of them ends up being some creepy weirdo sort, chances are some other people in the group will intervene and protect me. I have no intention or desire to venture out with some random stranger alone. Also, I usually meet any potential climbing buddies locally so I can get to know them, discuss plans with them, and go for a run to see where we both stand in terms of fitness ability, before I proceed further.

4. I will never actually go travel to meet some stranger who is not local and who offers climbing opportunities. Because think of it logically, what makes me think that I upon meeting this "helpful/generous" guy, that he wont have entirely different motives in mind. And I can just see myself now, eager to go tackle some peaks, and instead I get a sly evil pervy grin from him and the single remark "well, lets drive to my house so we can have sex" yea, real pleasant situation!!

5. I am not faking anything, this is not a joke. And please do not compare me to stupid pathetic flakers like that cindy whatever chick. I have no idea who the hell she is and have no interest in hearing about her aimless attemps to seduce some random dudes on this site. The objective is extremely crystal clear for me and let me spell it out for you: I WANT TO CLIMB MOUNTAINS. If you ever want to meet up with me, that is all you will ever hear or get from me. I mean, you have to be kidding me??? I am DEAD SET determined, focused and do not play around with me on here, as I am not trying to do so to others. Ever since about 5 years ago, I have set off on local adventures by myself, wandering the central coast rocky and rugged beaches during times of low tide for extremely long distances, oftentimes all day-and oftentimes requiring some rock climbing ability just to get from one beach to the next one. I have hiked and jogged and scrambled my way up multiple local mountains, gone on 9 mile runs regularly(I just started this about 3 months ago and currently suffering from a knee injury), wandering very long stretches of sandy beaches, exploring distant locations that take hours of stomping through the sand and up high dunes, and basically strenghtening and strenghtening myself even further because I know this is ESSENTIAL for my future mountaineering goals. I love every moment that I am out there, but at this point in my life I am looking for more challenge and want to start learning how to successfully perform and complete the more technical routes that involve gear use. Instruction and demonstration and practice come into play here. Meeting more experiencing climbers provides a very good opportunity to not only connect with fellow enthusiasts, but to gain the valuable knowledge and skill required for this sport at a lower cost, than to say, enroll in classes. The oftentimes structured nature of official outdoor courses do not appeal to me. They are valuable, but I want to just be out there not having to wait around for other (sometimes more weak participants) before I get my turn. And then if the desire seizes me, I want to just do as I please and run off and try my hand at some other route or trail and to increase my pace as desired without having to be shouted at that I can't "break away from the group". I know this may appear contradictory, that I am both looking to create expedition groups, and that I want to do things my way. I understand that enrolling in classes would be a good opportunity to meet people that are a good match to my strength and ability, but they cost unecessary amounts of money when I can get the same type of instruction from more experienced climbers who I can go on trips with.

6. At this time, I have signed up for a trip to climb Mt. San Gorgonio through outdoorsclub.org. I have been keeping in touch with the trip coordinator and he seems to be very helpful about it. Also I will get at least SOME winter climbing experience before I try to advance to more difficult tasks, such as Mt. Shasta and others.

I also plan to go to the local outdoors gear store called REI sometime this week to learn more about winter climbing gear, to discuss what gear would be needed for a safe climb, and for other just general discussions about weather conditions, and see what recommendations they give me.

My school offers some outdoor adventure trips, but they are pretty wussie and too easy. Honestly. I have tried to go over and talk to them to suggest trips that could be organized for more experienced hikers like me, but they seem to not listen and not care much for what I have to say. I am an experienced hiker, but I have not done any winter climbing, and I want to get into climbing higher and higher mountains.

None of the above story is fabricated, I am a genuine honest person with a true passion, trying to do what I can to make my dream a possiblity.

Also, the whole "ultimate dream" thing is obviously used for the whole "rhetoric effect" purpose to exaggerate my point in order to bring attention to it....

And I am studying Philosophy, I am a rare breed of the intellectual/adventurer sort. Try to find one of those around!! You wont!

WTF do you want us to do about it? Jesus christ. You're contacting a bunch of climbers in a different state asking for help learning how to climb, but then you say that you'll never climb with non-locals who you don't know. WTF?

I offered to take you climbing if you ever make it up to the NW. I'm no badass, but I'm a competent climber. I was trying to be nice, btw, because I believe people should learn to climb for free.

But you didn't respond. (Fuck you too, btw).

Dozens of people on this board have offered advise and suggestions, and you are full of problems and excuses.

Go cry about it somewhere else. :cry: I hope you're a troll, because if you're not than you're just annoying.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) plenty of folks have no car and find partners with cars. Face it a lot of climbing is done with other people. We know you don’t like other people but you’ll have to suck it up if you want a ride. Quit making excuses. It may not be convenient or on the exact schedule you’d like but it does work. You might actually have to ditch a class or adjust your schedule ot accommodate your partner with the car

2) ummmm…switch schools. Move and go to school someplace with more convenient climbing. This has been said over and over and over and you choose not to listen. Take a year off to gain residency wherever your new school might be if its too expensive to be an out of state student. Work, save money, buy gear etc

3) there are many good people to climb with on this and other sites. Yep, meet them, get out with them. I bet some of them even have cars. I’m sorry you don’t get along with people. You sound like a great member of an expedition team.

4) What the hell is your bad attitude about men all about? Not that I’d go trotting off into the mountains with some guy I’d never met before but I’ve climbed with plenty of different guys. They were all new climbing partners at some point. Usually start by climbing with them in a group before going out with them alone but its not like they suddenly turn evil just cuz you’re alone with them.

5) Its great that you’re out trying to get the education you need but you seem rather inflexible and unwilling to sacrifice your personal agenda. Sometimes the day isn’t all about you and your needs. Be patient and take the good with the bad when you enroll in a group outing. If you’re too demanding in this way with your partners you’re going to run them all off. Its very seldom that you’ll find a partner with goals that are 100% in sync with yours. You need to learn to work with others.

6) Keep climbing stuff.

7) Do you have a job? If not you certainly should get one if you’re complaining about not having the money for travel, car and gear.

8) Seriously, you sound like one big ball of excuses. I know more than one climber who has relocated simply b/c they wanted to climb more. There are plenty who have been broke and managed to figure it out. You’re building your own barriers. Get over yourself. Look for solutions. Don’t be so closed minded when people offer suggestions and solutions. You seem to dismiss them too quickly.

wow... I can't believe that I actually wasted my time by reading this...

Come on... I can totally understand wanting to go out climbing... but quit making excuses... get in contact with some local climbers where you live, and leech on to them... When you get here, if you ever do... I am sure you can find someone to climb with.

I am a rare breed of the intellectual/adventurer sort. Try to find one of those around!! You wont!

:wave: Welcome to the club, there are lots of us. Most of us seem to have been able to remain employed to afford a car to go climbing.

not that it makes a difference but the top three things I look for in a partner are

a) Someone I can be stuck in a little tent, or ledge with for a day or two and not be forced to kill.

b) Someone I won't be tempted to push out of the car on the way to or from the climb.

c) someone who's technically competent and can pull their own weight, and has the gumption to buck and lead they're 60m if I bonk.

You may not like people, but if your going to climb much with them they'd better like you.

Man are you a piece of work. Along with the spray in this tread, you've gotten a lot of really good advice. If you sounded like a reasonable person, and got your ass up here next Summer, you probably would have had various no-strings-attached offers to include you in scrambles and advanced hikes to gain skills. The offers would have been made in good faith by people with a passion for the mountains and willing to take the time to mentor a fellow enthusiast. Gender and looks would have been irrelevant - people would have helped you out. [Not to say that you wouldn't also have had other offers - that's the nature of climbers and CC.com in particular]

Now that your attitude and self-imposed limitations are clear, nobody would want to put up with you. Except for sex - which seems to be your worst fear in the first place.

Better ditch your avatar, adjust your attitude and start over in a few months in the "partners wanted" section.

I am a rare breed of the intellectual/adventurer sort. Try to find one of those around!! You wont!

that's the biggest load of horse crap ever, and trust me i know horse crap.

there are so many interesting, intelligent, and well educated climbers on this board that it reduces your statement to the absurd.

your conceit may be your problem. you presume you are rare. in fact the only unique thing about you so far is your ability to get in your own way.

1. I have no car. Therefore I have no convenient means of transportation. In order to climb, I have to kind of get to my outdoor destinations of choice. As a result, most times I'm stuck wanting to go on adventures but realizing that (gasp!!) I have no way to get there!!!

Start here and fix the problem. BUY A FUCKING CAR OR MOTORCYCLE. And figure out a way to afford it, (maintenance, gas, insurance).

Who the hell wants some fucking leech sucking them dry for free rides all over SoCal with gas prices well over $3/gallon?

You need to pull your own weight. And if you can't do it w/r/t gas and transportation, I sure as hell doubt you'll carry half the group gear, pull your weight leading, and so on...

1. I have no car. Therefore I have no convenient means of transportation. In order to climb, I have to kind of get to my outdoor destinations of choice. As a result, most times I'm stuck wanting to go on adventures but realizing that (gasp!!) I have no way to get there!!!

Start here and fix the problem. BUY A FUCKING CAR OR MOTORCYCLE. And figure out a way to afford it, (maintenance, gas, insurance).

Who the hell wants some fucking leech sucking them dry for free rides all over SoCal with gas prices well over $3/gallon?

You need to pull your own weight. And if you can't do it w/r/t gas and transportation, I sure as hell doubt you'll carry half the group gear, pull your weight leading, and so on...

the stoopid thing is that i know folks that wouldn't mind paying for the gas if this gal seemed like she'd pull her own wait. and yeah, its just so hard to find people and places to climb in cali :rolleyes:

the stoopid thing is that i know folks that wouldn't mind paying for the gas if this gal seemed like she'd pull her own wait. and yeah, its just so hard to find people and places to climb in cali :rolleyes:

no shit. start with joshua tree. and is it so hard to get up into the Sierras? hiking/snowshoeing for now. do some peak-bagging, whitney, etc, come June/July?

In all seriousness Darasius: the only thing stopping you from " you ultimate dream being satisfied" is yourself.

so far, RUMR pretty much nailed it on the first post: TROLL

However, we rarely see such puerility's and skill, this is good, ohhhh - real good.

Best post so far is Josephs!

If she is a troll this is very well done, and a useful template for those aspiring master trolls out there.

It would be hard to contrive a scenario that could bring out the knives more quickly than a ditzy dabbler stumbling into a room full of wannabe hardcores.

Sheer elegance or serendipity?

Can we please get a moderator in here to move this to "Climbing Partners" because I feel she is the real deal and I want a fair shot at banging this broad.

Thanks.

Bill E. Goat Esq.

LOL :lmao:

Come on girl, shit or get off the pot. No car, whaaa :cry: . I don't like group instruction, whaaa :cry:. I just want to freeload, skip any learning curve and go climb Everest. WTF? Whaa, Whaaa, Whaa :cry:, :cry:, :cry: . Nobody likes a whiner. I should know cause I can whine with the best of them.

Can we please get a moderator in here to move this to "Climbing Partners" because I feel she is the real deal and I want a fair shot at banging this broad.

Thanks.

Bill E. Goat Esq.

BIllY :cry: :cry: :cry:

my heart is not broken in to a million peices!!!

btw i was trying to think of one person on this BBS who isn't highly educated and succesful... i think i am the only one, and i have a kick ass job. everyone else i know on this bbs is a scientis engiener owns thier own business and or has a high level of education.

so i am so not buying the "there are no intelectual adventurers"

oh and fuck off i know i can't spell ;)