My ultimate dream is being unsatisfied...help!!

Darasius

Well, I would love for it to be so easy. The thing is, I do not have any major mountaineering experience and need to learn the techniques required to climb at higher elevations.

outdoor expedition schools=$$$$

going out on my own=$$$$

people I know who are serious minded and who I can join on treks into the mountains=pretty close to zero. Thats why I'm posting in this forum.

With transportation issues and lack of steady income...it is very difficult for me to "just do it". It is also safer to have others with you...and very very very few people my age are set on mountaineering...

try moving to a city where there are montains or at least mountains that are close. there you will meet many other young people who share your interests. if you were at UofO you could take all the mountain skills classes you wanted and call them electives. and get credit for them.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still smell troll

and if i'm wrong, i've never seen someone with so many reasons NOT to do something they allegedly really want to do. yer 20 for fucksake. what do you have that's stopping you.

thats what i was thinking. any more excuses and she will start convincing other people to stop climbing becuae it is just too much trouble.

i still smell troll

and if i'm wrong, i've never seen someone with so many reasons NOT to do something they allegedly really want to do. yer 20 for fucksake. what do you have that's stopping you.

From the onset I also smell troll, but apparently if it is, it a multi board posting troll with the same objective.

But at least over there they did not tell her to eat shit right from the beginning...

i still smell troll

thats what i was thinking. any more excuses and she will start convincing other people to stop climbing becuae it is just too much trouble.

Brings that Richard Bach quote to mind: "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."

I've worked really hard to justify what I can't do, so don't go tellin' me what I CAN. :rolleyes:

For someone who says this--->

Kind of an insult to women since it implies that they cant do it on their own....

she sure throws out a lot of "catch" words like this (nudge nudge) --->

...I wonder if there is any sponsorship offered to female mountaineers who can perform well and look good and really fit while they do so, therefore assisting in increasing the sports popularity, and as a result, its revenue. (only kidding, but hell if such a deal came up I'd take it in seconds haha)

Either a troll or someone wanting it both ways..., well, you know what I mean.

Brings that Richard Bach quote to mind: "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."

I've worked really hard to justify what I can't do, so don't go tellin' me what I CAN. :rolleyes:

Nice quote Sherri. :tup:

I'm 98.75% convinced of trolling by the author of this thread.

Thank you for the advice, some of the things said in this forum were helpful.

I am genuinely interested, no harmful intentions with some of the remarks I have made, I'm simply just speaking my mind and responding to some point that was brought up.

I'm still in the learning phase and haven't really gotten out there to test out my abilities, so always looking for climbing/instructional opportunities. All I am saying is that it is more safe to be accompanied by someone who knows what they are doing and who I could therefore learn from.

For anyone who knows more about it, is the end of March a good time to attempt a Mt. Shasta climb?

March is early depending on the year. So far this year, it has been record snows so be very careful assessing the avalanche danger.

CC.Com is harsher than usual these days so take them with a grain of salt. Getting old and saggy sucks. You might consider asking the moderators to move this thread to the Newbies forum. There is supposed to be no spray there.

For Shasta info, check here:

http://www.climbingmtshasta.org/

http://www.shastaavalanche.org/reports.htm

Use Google for TR's and other info. For a beginner, probably best to climb Avy Gulch in the first couple weeks of June. In April or May, look at the ridge runs (Green, Sargents, etc).

You should check out Whitney too, since you are in SoCal.

Couple of thoughts some already mentioned.

Get into a 4 year school with an outdoor education program.

Get a BA while learning how to do much of what you have mentioned. Idaho, Montana and Wa have them. I suspect CA does as well.

The other option if you have the desire is get a masters degree by moving to any of the following, Canmore, Bozeman, SLC, Bellingham, Boulder, Yosemite or Jackson Hole (among many) and living the dream with the other chuckleheads already there :) Might take more time and effort but you will enjoy the adventure.

Oh, and I almost forgot there are more hard core women climbers in Canmore, Alberta year around than any other place I know of. Chicks that can thrash all but a tiny percenatge of the posers here on CC including me :D

So you might want to be more careful on what you assume along those lines.

Becoming a certified guide means working hard over several seasons and having to pay the guide's association the program costs. It aint cheap or something you do on a lark. It is a formal education that costs money and takes a serious committment. But then you have a marketable skill when you are done to show for it and year around employment if you want it.

I smell TROLL!

troll.jpg

All you suckers who bit for the bait with your wisdom of the ages were probably "had"....if you'd been on this site long enough, you might recall the lovely "Amber", who lured in all kinds of married and otherwise committed men who sent "her" personal invitations for private coaching....and then "published" them right here on cc.com! It was hilarious!

Although I do recognize the very small possibility that this particular novice could be authentic....I ain't buying it! Not on this site! My apologies if I'm wrong but I doubt it. And then there was.....the lovely "Miss Normandy".....

Reel the suckers in!!!!

800px-Trolling_drawing.jpg

Raindawg, if this is what you are talking about, was it edited? It doesn't look as juicy as you made it sound.

Thank you for the advice, some of the things said in this forum were helpful.

I am genuinely interested, no harmful intentions with some of the remarks I have made, I'm simply just speaking my mind and responding to some point that was brought up.

I'm still in the learning phase and haven't really gotten out there to test out my abilities, so always looking for climbing/instructional opportunities. All I am saying is that it is more safe to be accompanied by someone who knows what they are doing and who I could therefore learn from.

For anyone who knows more about it, is the end of March a good time to attempt a Mt. Shasta climb?

First READ FREEDOM OF THE HILL and take a bloody class

SECOND QUIT TALKING OUT YOUR ASS

there are so many amazing women in the sport of climbing who alos mountaineer and mountianeers who also climb as well as other adventurus women. Shit Fern posts here and she is a FUCKING ROCK STAR. meet some people learn some shit. right now you sound like a wanna be and an idiot. people who truely want to learn ask questions, they don't make assumptions.

well...i don't know about a rockstar, there, muff...

I think she is. But i supose she isn't Lynn Hill. But then who is?? or Steph Davis. there are many more and books about the women who came before us isn't there one called "She Climbs" or something like that about the history or women climbers in the PNW? I suck at names. I am lucky i remember all of mine. but i do know there are amazing women who come before us who bothered to pave the way to make this sport accessable to us.

the point is that there are plenty of women who climb all styles. name recognition might be low but they're out there climbing. just cuz some 20 year old thang doesn't know who they are doesn't mean that they aren't out there.

this is a gal who clearly got some idea in her head, didn't bother to do the research, spouted off with some public comments and now seems like a twit to me.

she's probably a nice person with some interesting ambitions but her attitude/approach to the topic makes me want to say "troll" (which i have done) or "STFU you snivelling little twit"

the point is that there are plenty of women who climb all styles. name recognition might be low but they're out there climbing. just cuz some 20 year old thang doesn't know who they are doesn't mean that they aren't out there.

this is a gal who clearly got some idea in her head, didn't bother to do the research, spouted off with some public comments and now seems like a twit to me.

she's probably a nice person with some interesting ambitions but her attitude/approach to the topic makes me want to say "troll" (which i have done) or "STFU you snivelling little twit"

:kisss:

No room for error on this site.

Maybe she just thought she was talking to some people who might be able to help her and posted here before researching it much.

What a ......

Yeah well, if she hangs out on this site long enough, she will be cool and jaded like you.

Troll or not, I'll throw in my 2 cents in case it's useful to someone else.

It seems like the cart is definately before the horse here. My suggestion would be to:

(1) spend next summer in the PNW working (if you need to) and getting some mountain time. Don't worry about "climbing" per se. Getting out on a few multiday hiking/scrambling trips will tell you pretty quickly if you're cut out for trad climbing and will cost next to nothing. If you have an inaccurate mental image of "climbing," a few days of devils club, slide alder, flies and no shower will straighen you out pretty quickly. Hell, just try doing sweaty work for a few days without a shower or a change of clothes and your half way to being a climber. Scrambling will give you a lot of the benefits of climbing (views, some exposure, wilderness experience) without the expense of gear or the competent training to use it.

(2) If you like it, get your ass up here and find a school near some mountains.

(3) Get involved in the outdoor program at the school and take advantage of low cost rental gear and training, as well as linking up with people you feel comfortable with

(4) As you skills advance, go for it and do what you can!

None of this should cost a lot of money, but you'll have to get the hell out of So Cal if you want to have access to the kind of terrain to build good technical skills. You'll soon find out whether you are in love with the real thing or just the image.

Well, Kate Beckinsale and Kate Bosworth are too young and Karen Allen, Barbara Hereshy, and Angelina have all made it perfectly clear they aren't going down that road again, and my wife wouldn't allow them all in bed with us anyway so my ultimate dream is being unsatisfied as well. What can you do besides go climbing? Plenty of good advice here - figure it and make it happen, it's how life gets done.