My ultimate dream is being unsatisfied...help!!

Darasius

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Denali is something I would like to work up to, and then eventually Everest :) I'm telling you right now that I'm hardcore about this, and people my age aren't exactly set on mountaineering to the extent that I am. Hell, they probably haven't even given it a thought considering how much commitment and determination it takes.

I know, I know..I need to keep looking, and that is what I am trying to do. I NEED to find a "motivated partner" and thats precisely what I'm trying to do. I keep hoping that the "experienced tough fit" mountaineer will miraculously show up and proclaim to me "Why, I'm heading on a Mt. Rainier(or something of the sort) climb! Want to come along??" and then I say yes, and live happily ever after...

*still waiting* haha

I think your jumping the gun a little on this one. By "motivated" partner do you mean someone who has all the goals that you have? First thing you should do is just learn the ropes. You can worry about a suitable partner when you have acquired the skills necessary for the climbs you want to do. You first priority should be to get the training. Don't expect the fairy climbing mother to magic you away on some climbing adventure. It's all up to you if you really want to get out there and do it.

And I checked out the mountaineers group and of course they demand some stupid membership fee.

Damnit, they all want money out of you.

Screw it, I think that I'm going to start trying to find ways to do it on my own, theres no other way! Thats how the real explorers managed to achieve their goals. But you have to admit, its more difficult for a solo female, because they have to worry about SO many more safety issues with so many freaks and weirdos stalking around waiting to take advantage of you and then kill you.

I know its not safe for anyone to go out into the mountains on their own, but females have EXTRA very stupid and annoying concerns that plague them, thanks to the wonderful world which in which we live in :)

And I just recently checked out some organization by the name of "alpine ascents" that offer guides for mountaineering trips, and I just love how they demand a $20,000 deposit for the everest trip, not to mention expenses spiral up into the $45,000 range. how lovely.

kill me now

(of course I'm not stupid enough to be seriously considering an everest trip with my limited mountaineering experience and young age, I was just curious how much they want to suck you dry)

Edited by Darasius

But you have to admit, its more difficult for a solo female, because they have to worry about SO many more safety issues with so many freaks and weirdos stalking around waiting to take advantage of you and then kill you.

Stay clear of anyone out there wearing a cascadeclimbers.com t-shirt, and you should be okay. ;)

CART --------> HORSE

I understand the frustration but, slow down. Study "goal setting" 101. Take the youthful exuberance and temper it with some quiet determination. Set some realistic goals. Let time be your friend, what's the rush? Find someone you can hike with - hiking sometimes transitions into scrambling/climbing. Read the guides. Hang out with same interested people -specially women -, go where they go. Eventually you will talk to someone who has like goals. Graduate from collage, take your wealth and put it into your avocation. Enjoy life as it unfolds, opportunities abound.

BTW, you can't say Im a perv until you get to know me better.

unfortunately, for all you hopefuls I won't be offering any sexual services in exchange for climbing opportunities haha

Kind of an insult to women since it implies that they cant do it on their own.

And now of course I will be getting a flood of responses saying "But Darija! you mentioned that you're in search of someone that could offer to take you on a mt. Rainier climb, so you're saying you cant do it on your own then!"

Well theres a big difference between trying to coerce the guy into taking me on a trip with the promise of sexual favors and simply seeking sound advice and perhaps a few like-minded individuals(both male and female), who are in a similar transitional stage(looking to get into mountaineering) as me and so we could therefore get in touch and both help each other progress and learn together.

That being said, I wonder if there is any sponsorship offered to female mountaineers who can perform well and look good and really fit while they do so, therefore assisting in increasing the sports popularity, and as a result, its revenue. (only kidding, but hell if such a deal came up I'd take it in seconds haha)

wealth? Well let me provide some further clarification. I'm a philosophy major, meaning that I'm preparing myself for a lifelong commitment to poverty and starvation haha

And..all guys are pervs, they only differ in whether or not they decide to show it. And even those that decide to not show it can eventually be tracked down to fall into the former category, simply because they decide to utilize the "i play nice, provide emotional support and put up the facade known as the 'caring attitude' in order to better gain access to what I want and therefore increase my chances of success with said female" strategy.

Oh cmon, you know its true haha

High altitude mountaineering is primarily about lung/aerobic capacity unless you are in the super-elite class putting up technical routes...and that tends to get called alpinism. Most " high altitude aspirants" are doing the slog routes that involve little, if any, real technical climbing.

Now you can argue those points, but the greater point here is: If you can't get out yet on real mountains because of geographical/financial issues, so what? Train, train, and train some more. Forge your body into a lung with legs. Read instructional books and practice those skills. You can learn to tie knots, rig z-hauls, and lots of things in your yard, living room, local park. I learned how to rig crevasse rescue anchors and hauling systems in an agricultural drainage canal in the flatlands of western illinois in winter.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't. You can train. You can search for a mentor. You can look for University climbing clubs that accept students from other schools. You're close enough to Shasta, Whitney, etc that you should be able to finagle your way onto some beginner trip and catch a ride for minimal cost.

Nobody is going to hand you anything. Make it happen.

If you think that you can get into climbing without forking over some mulla, you are in for a painful surprise. It takes time and money to acquire all the gear necessary. Many of the famous rock climbers and alpanists are poor, or started out poor. Read up on Ed Viestures, before he made it big with his endeavor 8000 adventure, he spent most of his time living in a dank basement working construction, scraping to get by. Its only the rich philanthropists that can afford to dish out 50 grand for an Everest bid, and most of those people aren't climbers. Save up some money, and start small. Work your way into, and you will make the connections necessary to chase your dreams, hopefully without the sexual favors 8D .

If you think that you can get into climbing without forking over some mulla, you are in for a painful surprise. It takes time and money to acquire all the gear necessary. Many of the famous rock climbers and alpanists are poor, or started out poor. Read up on Ed Viestures, before he made it big with his endeavor 8000 adventure, he spent most of his time living in a dank basement working construction, scraping to get by. Its only the rich philanthropists that can afford to dish out 50 grand for an Everest bid, and most of those people aren't climbers. Save up some money, and start small. Work your way into, and you will make the connections necessary to chase your dreams, hopefully without the sexual favors 8D .

hot tip!

Yep, money is important. Get yourself a part time job, stop doing anything else that requires money, eat potatoes and rice for every meal, buy used gear, and find ways to avoid paying rent from time to time. I am 20 and got into climbing five years ago and because I have been going school and only working part time most of the time saving up for gear has been really hard. If you don't have rich parents or something like that don't count on starting fast. If you can find a cheap class, take it. I took a 10 week class through a small alpine club that cost $140 and went over basic mountaineering and alpine rock climbing and it was one of the best investments of my life. Don't worry about climbing with people your age because like you said they are few and far between (alpine people anyway).

Biggest advice that has helped me is to be persistent. Train hard, and when it is the worst weather that you guys get down there, you better be out training in it. No excuses. And read as much as possible. learn your knots well enough that you can do it one handed (left and right) and behind your back, learn your rope rescue systems, learn the history of climbing, learn everything. Somebody already said to look for the clubs, im sure your school has a climbing wall, hang out there and meet people. Be sociable, through a guy i met at my climbing wall i did a 10 day trip to Bishop. Find what roads head towards Joshua Tree, and when you have some time hitchhike over there, you will meet a tonne of people that way.

I am finding that the more knowledge i gain, the more i find people.

And lastly-

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem".

-Emil Zatopek

That's good advice. For the last few winters I made a point of going for a long run in the rain or snow whenever I had time, and I think it helped me get a little more used to being wet and uncomfortable than most people. For some reason I can't bring myself to do that very often anymore. :lmao:

And..all guys are pervs, they only differ in whether or not they decide to show it. And even those that decide to not show it can eventually be tracked down to fall into the former category, simply because they decide to utilize the "i play nice, provide emotional support and put up the facade known as the 'caring attitude' in order to better gain access to what I want and therefore increase my chances of success with said female" strategy.

Crap, she's got me figured out.

Troll????? That sure is possible.

All I can say is 20 grand for a guided trip on Everest is cheap. If you're ultimate goal is to climb E then focus on climbing a boatload of smaller stuff first.

In general climb stuff like Rainier, but learn about and focus on the non-dog routes. Climb a bunch of rock, ice and mixed route.

In general make money and spend as much as you can on traveling to climbing spots and necessary gear. Low budget food and beer are part of the deal.

wealth? Well let me provide some further clarification. I'm a philosophy major, meaning that I'm preparing myself for a lifelong commitment to poverty and starvation haha

Oh cmon, you know its true haha

I smell TROLL!

troll.jpg

All you suckers who bit for the bait with your wisdom of the ages were probably "had"....if you'd been on this site long enough, you might recall the lovely "Amber", who lured in all kinds of married and otherwise committed men who sent "her" personal invitations for private coaching....and then "published" them right here on cc.com! It was hilarious!

Although I do recognize the very small possibility that this particular novice could be authentic....I ain't buying it! Not on this site! My apologies if I'm wrong but I doubt it. And then there was.....the lovely "Miss Normandy".....

Reel the suckers in!!!!

800px-Trolling_drawing.jpg

I really hope this is a troll. If it is, it's not very good. If it isn't....

1. Mountaineering has been based on an individual spirit of accomplishment. Your strategy of asking a group of individuals a few hundred miles away for assistance is in direct opposition to what you think you want.

2. Climbing is expensive, even if done on the cheap. I wasn't a climber when I was a student. I didn't feel entitled to it. Please get over yourself and let your "dreams" come to pass when they can.

3. You can start getting ready. Train obsessively. If you are at a university, there is likely to be some kind of climbing club. Contact them.

4. Read books. "Training for Peak Performance" and "Mountaineering, Freedom of The Hills" are good places to start.

5. Stop making excuses and start making plans. No one is going to help make this happen more than you.