Billy Poole RIP

olyclimber

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who gets out of bed in the morning faces varying degrees of risk. We climbers and skiers push the limits sometimes looking for whatever high gets us out in the first place. But looking at the video makes me think that you can only pull the tail of a sleeping tiger so many times before it wakes up and eats you.

Everyone who gets out of bed in the morning faces varying degrees of risk. We climbers and skiers push the limits sometimes looking for whatever high gets us out in the first place. But looking at the video makes me think that you can only pull the tail of a sleeping tiger so many times before it wakes up and eats you.

Yes. Engaging in statistically riskier behavior will produce more accidents on average across the population.

Discussions of risk whether it be from avalanche, cliff, or just steeps reminds me much of amateur discussions of the stock market. Few participants have bothered to quantify their risk, few are capable of doing it, but everyone is convinced that because they were succesful a handful of times there method is fool proof. More dangerously they are convinced that because someone lost once that method was obviously inferior.

Discussions of risk whether it be from avalanche, cliff, or just steeps...

On a related note, the film Steep started playing here in Vancouver today. I think it's been playing for a month or so south of the border.

... you can only pull the tail of a sleeping tiger so many times before it wakes up and eats you.

A point that apparently comes home watching the Doug Coombs' interviews in Steep.