[TR] Tumalo - Back to the Basics 1/22/2008

gapertimmy

Trip: Tumalo - Back to the Basics

Date: 1/22/2008

Trip Report:

As any of my local homeys here in Bend can attest to (as can my infrequency of gnar reports) the big change in my life has definitely scaled back my number of days on the snow this year.

Tomorrow my lovely wife heads back to work, and as such, I start my new career as the full time daddy. As such, I wanted to get out for one last mid-week dawn patrol to put the hectic life of a new parent back into perspective... take it back to the basics.

---------------------

It always amazes me that the beauty of seeing a sunrise in the mountains will get my arse out of a warm bed at 5am. The temperatures in town were below zero, and my truck let me know about it when I gave it a start.

2211858997_b40838b9bc.jpg

The cold temps bit at my face as I skinned up Tumalo under the pre-dawn moonlight. No music blaring in my ear, no 2-stroke in my nostrils... just the rhythmic swish-clank of my skins underfoot, and a faint whir of grooming cats across the way on Bachelor.

2212640386_50dbc686a3.jpg

Glowing skies in the East made me pick up the pace, and realize that the aforementioned lack of days on the snow with the brobrah's has turned me into a fat daddy. Nonetheless, back to the basics, I was just stoked to be out in the snow, breathing in the cold air, seeing the mountains I love.

2211848917_5a88c3f2c2.jpg

The power of the mountains always wipe away any concerns or worries that might be running through my mind. They put things back in perspective, and make you thankful for being alive. When they are awash in the pink morning alpenglow you can almost feel your soul warm up in the subzero temps.

2211849905_dfd8b050eb.jpg

2211850881_95d147e8a3.jpg

2212639870_e511d16a20.jpg

With a clear head, and a happy soul, the turns back to the truck were playful and simple. Boot top pow accompanied with happy thoughts, life is grand.

Back at home, I got to tell my little girl about how I had just climbed and skied a mountain... although it was basic, and not even close to rad... her smiles warmed up any remaining chill I had from the cold morning temps, and I feel like the luckiest guy around.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Timmy, you nailed it.

Knowing that Mr. Mom is coming up very soon i figured you'd be out on something. Sounds like good times, wish i could of been up there wit ya.

You missed breathing 2 stroke, dust on crust and lots of spraying.

anytime you wanna get out let me know.

JL

Nice tr. I have made that life transition twice in the last 3 years. Hasn't been easy, there's been a lot of change, but tots are amazing. Now I am taking my daughter out on skis, and she just laughs about it and dives into the snow. She told me "I'm not as good as you, but I am getting better" and "today I'm going to ski more than I did yesterday". It's sick, serious fun. And the rare personal sessions I get are majorly cherished, as you are clearly dialed in to already. Cheers!

Nice pics too! It's true, you always deliver with the pics.

@sky yep thats brokentop. if you ever make it down this way I'll get you out there so you can check out some of those lines in person. Far lookers left is called pucker up, the 11 oclock couliour would be an exciting ski as well.

thanks all for the kind words. I can't wait to get her outside more often (its too freaking cold right now).

First day w/out mommy was pretty chill, and quite fun.