Patellar Subluxation

Anyone have technical experience with these?

Basically, I managed to freak my right knee out pretty well after hucking myself off a jump at Baker yesterday. I was throwing backside spins on my snowboard, and on the last one, over-cleared the landing and smashed down in the flats. My body rotated to the left as my right knee stayed put, and I completely compressed. When my knee reached full flexion I felt this really strange pull in my patella followed by a "clicking" sensation as my knee cap settled back against the lateral Capitulum.

My symptoms are: mild swelling and tenderness in the MCL / VMO retinaculum. Mild infrapatellar pain when in flexion, and also pain in the superior patellar tendon near the insertion.

Besides wobbly patellas, everything else is super tight and I have a well developed vastus medialis. I've done this once before, several years ago......

Today I'm wearing a Camp patellar stabalizer and icing it. I can walk fine, however any kind of squating motion kills it - which is unexpected.

I've got a theory as to why this happened: a couple weeks ago I changed my snowboard stance so that my feet are wider, and more externally rotated. This helps tremendously with solid landings and deep powder stability. I am guessing that this increased valgus forces enough to cause a lateral subluxation when I was in full flexion combined with left rotation. The plan is to first take a week off from riding, and change my stance setting to reduce valgus force. Then workout my legs like crazy and avoid flat landings....

Injuries are a bitch. :noway:

What do you think Mr. Layton?

Edited by i_like_sun

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chopat thing is a strap that goes across the patella to slightly compress the tendon just below the patella. This is supposed to have the effect of snugging up the tendon so the patella doesn't wander around while the knee is in motion - designed to relieve the standard runner's patella over use injury, but it might help here to keep things a bit tighter. You can google chopat. I tried one but I couldn't keep it in place while running - it kept wanting to wander down towards my ankle.

If you can walk comfortably and have normal range of motion, Dr Layton's prescription is the right one.

What is the "P", by the way?

Thats pretty good Dr. Layton! Stopping activity right now seems like a bad idea seeing as I can still run on my knee without pain. Its just twisting motions that it doesn't like.

I've been doing some research on patellar tracking problems, and the newest stuff seems to make it clear that focusing on proper hip mechanics is a better treatment plan than simply exercising VMO.