WTB: A few things

SteveStrong

Hi guys,

I'm taking the Mountaineers Beginning climbing class and as a bunch of you know, the gear list is pretty extensive. I'm pretty well outfitted, but I thought I would take this opportunity to update some of my equipment and get a few of the things I'm missing. If you've got something collecting dust, or maybe something that you'd like to upgrade yourself, just let me know.

I'm a Large in most things, although ArcTeryx stuff seems to be more like a M. Also, priority to ultralightweight gear. It's all the new rage these days right...

Here's what I need.

Alpine Ice Axe

Crampons (Must be steel)

Lightweight Insulated Jacket

Belay Weight Parka ( FF Helios would be perfect :))

Softshell Pants

Down Sleeping Bag ~25 degree's (my synth bag is great, but I want to try a down bag)

Lemme know what you've got and if you feel like I probably need something else, just let me know. I'm a sucker for a deal.

Cheers

-Steve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be sure when you go ultra light you don't rob yourself of protection and durability in the process.

For example; I can cut a hole in a garbage bag and flaunt it as the lightest most waterproof rain gear ever. But breathability would be nil and durability will be nil. I never jumped on that UL bandwagon. The UL theory was good for somethings like Tents, Sleeping Bags and toothbrushes back in the days but when we started paying more for less as manufactures tried to cash in on the UL rage back in 2002 it quickly got out of hand.

Bottom Line: you go into the mountains and into harsh life/death conditions so expect to man up and carry some weight=protection and don't treat mother nature "lightly".

I'm not sure what kind of money you're looking to spend but if nothing comes along here eBay is a great place for the Crampons ($20 and up) and Alpine Axes ($15 and up).

I'm certainly not new to the backcountry or alpine environments. I'm taking the class mostly because I'm new to the area, and I wanted to meet people.

I've tried the UL scheme before, but most of my gear would be placed in the aging category. I'm looking more an update than to buy this sort of gear for the first time. There's been a lot of cool advancements since I bought most of my gear 7-10 years ago. THanks for the input.