Gym Jones

danhelmstadter

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that cat upthread go pretty riled with the Kool Aid comment, especially considering that the name of the gym is a take-off of Jim Jones, the cult leader who has his entire "congregation" commit suicide by drinking poisoned kool-aid. I thought that was pretty common cultural knowledge, maybe not.

While no, John, I have not received an invitation to train there, something doesn't quite square with all the posturing they do about elitism and training for performance over training for appearance, etc. What I'm referring to is the fact that they readily accepted the task of "training" the actors for the film "300".

Heath Ledger's recent passing not withstanding, I wasn't previously aware that acting in a hollywood movie was an elite physical undertaking with life or death consequences.

Man that cat upthread go pretty riled with the Kool Aid comment, especially considering that the name of the gym is a take-off of Jim Jones, the cult leader who has his entire "congregation" commit suicide by drinking poisoned kool-aid. I thought that was pretty common cultural knowledge, maybe not.

I'm glad someone thought it was funny. Sheesh :rolleyes: when did this place get so serious??

My understanding is that gym jones has a separate session per day that "applicants" can attend and assuming they stick with it will achieve the various levels required to train @ the main "full prescription strength" session/WOD.

My gym does the same thing... it offers 2 sessions for non members to attend/check out the program and if they are interested as well as we think they would be quality addition to the gym they receive an invitation.

But I'm avoiding the question right...

Yes the actors were trained/shaped by Twight... I honestly dont know if they did it in SLC or not... but did they earn the right to train @ gym jones? Likely but who knows... I dont... I am willing to bet that by the end of program he put them through they did... IMO just about anyone put through that program would be "fit" enough to train @ gym jones @ the "full prescription WOD"

Yeah... poking fun at at 300 is easy... yeah Twight really likes to preach... and yeah: the posturing doesnt fit with the movie.

I'm okay with it. You?

I'm glad someone thought it was funny. Sheesh :rolleyes: when did this place get so serious??

Whoah, you are totally right. I reread my response the other day, and I'm sorry for flaming you man. I think what I meant to say was 'my boss is a total fucking asshole".

"We have tried to be clear about who we are and what we do but apparently we have failed"

Considering how verbose the home page is, I'd say this is the most accurate statement Twight's come up with so far.

Some people go for the urban samurai shit. Some just train properly and try to have fun doing it. The best competitive athletes I've known subscribe to the latter philosophy.

I personally get a lot out of gymjones.com and mark's commentary.

I think that many people think of cf, erroneously, as a great specific workout when it clearly isn't. CF is great for general conditioning, but it's crap for specific training.

I think gymjones does specific training very well.

I think that many people think of cf, erroneously, as a great specific workout when it clearly isn't. CF is great for general conditioning, but it's crap for specific training.

What he said.

CrossFit aims to increase work capacity across diverse, unfamiliar, or even unknowable physical challenges. CF's vehicle in pursuit of this end is constantly varied, if not randomized, functional movement executed at high intensity.

CrossFit + climbing specific training (like going climbing) = :rawk:

Rock and Ice #166 pg52: What the heck are Max and LP doing in that photo? Hmmm... could it be?