Gym Jones

danhelmstadter

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about the gym or the web site? I'm not totally sure what gymjones.com is for. It contains a lot more self-important attitude from you know who than it does information. GJ.com says "why are you here pussy, do you think you can be as core as me?" while CF.com says "hey try these exercises, they will kick your ass and you'll get stronger." Choose according to your preferred type of motivation, I guess. Looks like GJ banks on angsty self-hatred. This works sometimes but GJ goes a little over the top with it, don't you think?

Well there's thinking that you are not good enough, and then there's thinking that you can get better. One's training philosophy can be centered around either, but the psychological consequences of depending on the former are less healthy IMO.

I realize that Mr. Twight is a big fan of the 'life or death epiphany' as a catalyst for self-development, and this may be entirely appropriate in the mountains (or whatever 'real-life' situation). But I think it's a bit contrived to try to generate that experience in a gym. One can certainly draw upon that kind of earned self-awareness in their training (as he seems to), but the part of it that can be taught to others in a gym setting is only a shadow on the wall.

I never felt like gym-jones was anything other than a place where people could get together, push themselves to a physical limit, or a high if you must. I also believe Gym Jones does not cater to the masses, and was never intended to. He's not selling anything, he's discovering himself through the medium of physical pain and suffering. The web site is merely a shadow of that discipline in digital format.

"To revive the dead language, the discipline of the steel was required; to change the silence of death into the eloquence of life, the aid of steel was essential."

~Mishima

Gym Jones is a metaphor for forging steel.

M.T. might be a bit elitist, but I certainly like his philosophy behind Gym Jones:

"We train in preparation for sport-specific tests or work-related challenges, we do not train for the sake of it or because conditioning is our sport or hobby. We don't do this because we want to look a certain way or to lose weight (these are consequences). We suffer during training to improve ourselves physically and psychologically and we measure those improvements on mountains, on frozen waterfalls, in burning buildings, facing cunning adversaries, on the battlefield, on the mat and in the cage. Because these tests occur outside the gym we don't compete in the gym, we work hard, and we work together to make the sum greater than its individual parts. Cheating here won't help us get where we are going so we enforce all quality all of the time." -Mark Twight

Gym Jones is a metaphor for forging steel.

P.S.: Don't drink any kool-aid that Mr. Twight might be selling :lmao:

Clearly you've confused your own ego with a lifetime of actual accomplishments. So let me ask you, which Kool-aid would you suggest? Enlighten us oh sage one! baa