Static rope?

Hoosierdaddy

This summer, several of us are going to attempt to find a certain waterfall in the Olympics. We expect to have to use rope in a few places; mainly for jumaring, rappelling and hauling, so I’m thinking that I need to look for static rope instead of dynamic. So, first question...is static rope appropriate for that purpose?

Next, weight is a HUGE issue with me, but so is safety. I was wondering if someone could recommend a specific rope brand that is very lightweight while quite strong, the most probable usable length, dry vs. non-dry ropes, diameter to weight ratio, sheath construction and what general properties I should be looking for when I buy it.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand your trip plan correctly, static rope is indeed what you want.

These folks oughta get ya hooked up. In my college life, I did a lot of VA/WV/TN karst cruisin' (that's caving to the rest of us). PMI was the vendor of choice for our underground exploits.

Take a look at their 11 mm Pit Rope in the Caving Essentials section. That's what we used for underground waterfall ascents/descents. It's tough stuff, with great wear resistance. It's a static rope, of kernmantle construction, but it's not a "dry" rope. It's a little stiff fresh off the spool, so be sure you finish your knots with back-ups.

If you're gonna be rapping, jumaring, and hauling pigs, then you're gonna have to sac up and carry the extra weight to ensure some safety. We used to beat up our caving ropes pretty badly in a season or two...