• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Hoosierdaddy

Static rope?

This summer, several of us are going to attempt to find a certain waterfall in the Olympics. We expect to have to use rope in a few places; mainly for jumaring, rappelling and hauling, so I’m thinking that I need to look for static rope instead of dynamic. So, first question...is static rope appropriate for that purpose?

Next, weight is a HUGE issue with me, but so is safety. I was wondering if someone could recommend a specific rope brand that is very lightweight while quite strong, the most probable usable length, dry vs. non-dry ropes, diameter to weight ratio, sheath construction and what general properties I should be looking for when I buy it.

If I understand your trip plan correctly, static rope is indeed what you want.

These folks oughta get ya hooked up. In my college life, I did a lot of VA/WV/TN karst cruisin' (that's caving to the rest of us). PMI was the vendor of choice for our underground exploits.

Take a look at their 11 mm Pit Rope in the Caving Essentials section. That's what we used for underground waterfall ascents/descents. It's tough stuff, with great wear resistance. It's a static rope, of kernmantle construction, but it's not a "dry" rope. It's a little stiff fresh off the spool, so be sure you finish your knots with back-ups.

If you're gonna be rapping, jumaring, and hauling pigs, then you're gonna have to sac up and carry the extra weight to ensure some safety. We used to beat up our caving ropes pretty badly in a season or two...