Car Rental Deals

JayB

It's been years since I've had to rent a car, and when I did, it was from these guys:

http://www.mauicruisers.net/

Awesome deal, great service, run out of a shipping container on a vacant lot featuring a legit junk-yard dog, and a one eyed mechanic. Very memorable. Insurance was included in the daily rate ($20), and there was no dicking around with upgrades and whatnot.

Which car rental company do you like to do business with? Any outfits to avoid? Any outfits that provide chains?

(Driving from LAX to Mammoth)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Word. Checking the rates online, but it seems like some outfits are better than others (from what I hear) when it comes to dealing with breakdowns, not-hosing you with extra fees, etc.

Pondering bringing along chains if it'll work weight-wise.

The roads to Mammoth are pretty well maintained, but, then again, storms do happen.

If the road is open the only time you'll "need" chains is at the checkpoint, in my experience they didn't bother. I wouldn't trust any "cheap" option at LAX - thats scam central because of all the foreign tourists.

Jay, if you haven't rented a car yet, check out what prices you find via Travelocity then put in a bid via Priceline. You can't always get a deal, but I recently got a car for 40% under the best regular price in Phx that way, and have had similar success for years. On a NE snowboarding trip about 6 years ago (4 out of 7 days were powder days, including Cannon and Jay Peak) I asked for a compact and got upgraded to some huge cadillac rig with leather seats and a cd changer. Snowboard looked pretty fab parked on all those acres of tan leather.