Missing on Hood

ZimZam

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I guess the flip-side to my earlier argument is that if you do not intend to take personal responsibility (i.e., you know your wife is going to call rescue if you are an hour late) then there should be a duty upon you to carry an MLU, a duty upon you to leave detailed plans, lists of your gear and experience, and take whatever other steps assist in your rescue so that your failure to take personal responsibility does not later infringe upon my “right” to take personal responsibility.

If you are not ready to be stuck on a mountain in bad weather, either because you do not have the training, do not have the gear, or do not have the support from home/wife/job to sit out a storm, perhaps cragging might be a better way to spend your time.

Just my thoughts. Ignore them at will.

e

If we as a climbing community are going to continue to preach personal responsibility rather than have the flatlanders impose further rules upon us (MLUs), than I think we need to actually take the personal responsibility. From the articles, these guys were a few hours late and a girlfriend was already calling in rescue. Most of us go out prepared to cave up for a couple days if the emergency requires, and I personally do not want rescue called until I am huge late returning (defined by the climb I am on). If I am going to set in motion a rescue because I am a couple hours late, then I think the government is within its rights to impose further restrictions upon how I operate.

Taking personal responsibility actually means taking personal responsibility. It means leaving information with someone indicating to not call in rescue for a couple days, as I may cave up if the weather turns; it means that I need to be ready to take care of myself so that SAR does not have to come look for my cave or check to see if I am alright.

I am not blasting the two lost on Hood, as it sounds like they took good care of themselves. Merely indicating that ... blah blah blah

Merely my two cents.

if the survial of my hobby is predicated on the mental stablity of my wife when plans get wierd, i am hopelessly fawked

:lmao:

Most people I know have a time pre-established when the person at home should call for help. For those of you w/spouses or SOs or family in general that get extra antsy or nervous when you’re late, you might try giving them contact info for another friend/experienced climber who can talk them off the ledge if your several hours late. Give them a list of reasons why you might be a whole night delayed and still be fine. Remember if they don’t climb they’ve got no frame of reference. Try and give them some.

Its easy to say to someone “don’t call for a rescue until I’m 24 hours late.” It’s a lot harder for the person at home not to call when you’re long overdue.

If we as a climbing community are going to continue to preach personal responsibility rather than have the flatlanders impose further rules upon us (MLUs), than I think we need to actually take the personal responsibility. From the articles, these guys were a few hours late and a girlfriend was already calling in rescue. Most of us go out prepared to cave up for a couple days if the emergency requires, and I personally do not want rescue called until I am huge late returning (defined by the climb I am on). If I am going to set in motion a rescue because I am a couple hours late, then I think the government is within its rights to impose further restrictions upon how I operate.

Taking personal responsibility actually means taking personal responsibility. It means leaving information with someone indicating to not call in rescue for a couple days, as I may cave up if the weather turns; it means that I need to be ready to take care of myself so that SAR does not have to come look for my cave or check to see if I am alright.

I am not blasting the two lost on Hood, as it sounds like they took good care of themselves. Merely indicating that ... blah blah blah

Merely my two cents.

if the survial of my hobby is predicated on the mental stablity of my wife when plans get wierd, i am hopelessly fawked

:lmao:

Most people I know have a time pre-established when the person at home should call for help. For those of you w/spouses or SOs or family in general that get extra antsy or nervous when you’re late, you might try giving them contact info for another friend/experienced climber who can talk them off the ledge if your several hours late. Give them a list of reasons why you might be a whole night delayed and still be fine. Remember if they don’t climb they’ve got no frame of reference. Try and give them some.

Its easy to say to someone “don’t call for a rescue until I’m 24 hours late.” It’s a lot harder for the person at home not to call when you’re long overdue.

or tell your SO will not be home until 24 hours after you intend, and then surprise him/her with an early return. ;-)

or tell your SO will not be home until 24 hours after you intend, and then surprise him/her with an early return. ;-)

I did that once on a climb on Rainier. We came off the summit and drove home. I had visions of my SO being excited when I crawled into bed with her. Instead she chewed me a new one for getting the dogs all wound up and waking her up (it was about 2AM)!

I'll not repeat that one again.:)

-r

"While communicating with search teams, the missing men spotted a "geocache," a small collection of items hidden by people that use GPS devices to participate in a type of wilderness treasure-hunt game. Typically, the exact GPS location of the geocache is written on the cache holder.

The men recognized the geocache for what it was and relayed the GPS information to search teams. Their location was quickly pinpointed. The missing men did not have GPS units with them."

Don't you now, anybody on hood is a climber even these two bummbbb asses. If they thought they were going to climb, even better if they regestered like they were going to climb, they should be charged. No gear...WTF

Ted: Yo Jed I have a great idea lets go register to climb a route on mount hood. We should be able to get up there with our hiking poles and shoeshoes. The weather is not looking so great tomorrow, even better. We don't need no stinking map. We don't need no compass or altimeter.

Edit: I did see a compass on one of them well at least they had that.

Ted: do we need one of those new fangled GPS?

Jed: (drinking a miller lite) Whats a GPS?

Ted: I thought you knew, oh well

Hope they learned thier lesson. Hope the rest of the idiots learned thier lesson. If you go out to play in da woods you need gear.

Edited by letsroll

letsroll... just my opinion but that was a pretty wanker post. i'm sure that you'll never get stuck out overnight anywhere but lets note that at least they had the good sense to dig themselves a snow cave and aren't too much worse for the wear. can't be total idiots.

And when you (self-)register that information/warning could be clearly posted.

They'd have to start a seperate SAR mission just to find your registration in that mess :)

You assume the FS will even have the self-registration forms available. I've been there twice in the last two months where there were no blank forms at all and if the filled out ones were any indication, there had not been any blank forms for quite a while.

Dude, letsroll: give the guys a little slack.

They knew what they were doing. They told me they got to 10,000 above the hourglass on the Leuthold route before the wx nuked them and they bailed.

Maybe they should have checked the forecast better though... but even they admit that.

Glad they're OK. I was dreading another circus up there...

Edited by barkernews

You assume the FS will even have the self-registration forms available. I've been there twice in the last two months where there were no blank forms at all and if the filled out ones were any indication, there had not been any blank forms for quite a while.

...or blue bags...'cause we know Ivan is VERY diligent about using them! :lmao::sick:

They had gear. The SAR teams just brought them snowshoes and probably took their packs for them. I'm sure they were pretty knackered from postholing though the forest all night.

Very glad to see this wrap up with a happy ending!

I guess that makes sense. From the onset, they look like they where just out snowshoeing...

One thing we might all agree on however: that cellphone happy girlfriend has been very, very bad. She needs a good, sound spanking.

I was thinking the exact same thing. :eveeel:

Thread drift, lets see the pictures, videos!

"While communicating with search teams, the missing men spotted a "geocache," a small collection of items hidden by people that use GPS devices to participate in a type of wilderness treasure-hunt game. Typically, the exact GPS location of the geocache is written on the cache holder.

The men recognized the geocache for what it was and relayed the GPS information to search teams. Their location was quickly pinpointed. The missing men did not have GPS units with them."

Oh, I got it now, I thought I read they had a GPS. OK.

I did that once on a climb on Rainier. We came off the summit and drove home. I had visions of my SO being excited when I crawled into bed with her. Instead she chewed me a new one for getting the dogs all wound up and waking her up (it was about 2AM)!

I'll not repeat that one again.:)

Good thing her boyfriend was not there.

-r

Don't you now, anybody on hood is a climber even these two bummbbb asses. If they thought they were going to climb, even better if they regestered like they were going to climb, they should be charged. No gear...WTF

Ted: Yo Jed I have a great idea lets go register to climb a route on mount hood. We should be able to get up there with our hiking poles and shoeshoes. The weather is not looking so great tomorrow, even better. We don't need no stinking map. We don't need no compass or altimeter.

Hope they learned thier lesson. Hope the rest of the idiots learned thier lesson. If you go out to play in da woods you need gear.

It's always easy to play armchair quarterback but most of us should know the mountains can get even the best/well prepared climbers. I'm glad they are ok and down safe. I was up on Sunday too and we almost took the wrong ridge skiing down in the cooper spur area. Luckily we caught our mistake before we had to backtrack but it is easy to get lost, even with all the right equipment and experience. I consider myself pretty experienced in the mountains but also know every time I go out I need to be extra careful and never let my guard down. Some of the most talented, famous and experienced climbers are no longer with us, often times the only fault was being in the mountains at the wrong time/wrong place.

thats just bad karma... i have seen someting happen to a cc.comer who had shit to say about others mistakes unfortunate events... seems to me he was stuck up on some mountain for 2 days waiting out a storm and ended up with a heli ride off. fortunatly in this case, and the one i am speaking of...everyone got down alive and in good shape.

There are (thankfully) only a few on this forum that will look at a photo "with a critical expert's eye", make a raft of erroneous assumptions completely out of context, and pass public judgement. Fortunately, the rest of this community is quick to hand their ass to them for it.

Kudos to the Hood climbers for doing the right things and getting down in good shape.

They knew what they were doing. They told me they got to 10,000 above the hourglass on the Leuthold route before the wx nuked them and they bailed.

funny, that's exactly where ken and i were, and the same type of weather we encountered, on our trip back in november - having experience on the route and an altimeter (no map or gps - i had a compass and a bearing back to camp but never used it) was sufficient to top out and get back down w/o incident

i pretty sure ken would have killed me if we had ended up in a snow cave that night :)