Arc'teryx Jackets now Made in China?

Delmarco

I'm not sure it follows that we should shoot ourselves. That doesn't seem very workable, does it? I respect your frustration, though, and I share it. These issues don't have easy answers.

Nor is my point that we shouldn't support our military. What I am saying is simply that many companies (and candidates) will try to win our brand loyalty by claiming to be unequivocally "green", by being "committed to the core" of surfers and climbers, or by being hand-made in Canada.

But that image is cheap. If they want to occupy an ethical high ground, we should demand they work harder. (And if the want to sell out, that's fine too.)

I think Patagonia does work hard to occupy that ground and inspire others to. And I wear the olive drab Patagoia stuff, and other military surplus gear. I fill up my truck with oil from the companies who bribed my Alaskan legislators, and have us entangled in Africa, South America, Russia and the Middle East. I'm not perfect. I'm supporting military involvement overseas. I have some responsibility for my friends who went to Iraq and didn't come back. But I try to understand what I can do to be better.

These are not black and white issues. That's why we should always respect the grey between.

Most people do. But some don't-- some will totally boycott Arc'teryx for outsourcing, and some totally buy Patagonia because they think they're helping the planet. When you add it all up, they probably are. But things are never perfect. That's an ongoing work we have to do.

I realize this might be getting political, so I'll shut up now. I'll cede the last word to whomever wants it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic