Beacon Outings

JosephH

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b/c beacon's the best place to climb in oregon.

Too bad that it is actually in Washington.....

Considering that actually Oregon considered purchasing the tract of land to make it a park, caused a political upset in the Washington legislature.... Hell, they wanted to demolish it, and make it quarry.... to build jetty's....

Climb on, rock nerds....

you mean they started demolishing it.

Nah. no demolition occurred, but there where plans. Big plans.

everyone who climbs at beacon pretty much lives in OR. anyway all the seattle snobs want nothing to do with it.

Thats because no one in SW Washington is worth the time... Not to mention the Seattle snobs... Probably is too much of a hike for those guys...

Hell what do I know, I hate rock climbing to begin with...

(post 200!! Whoo hoo!! I am coming up in the interweb world!!)

Edited by Frikadeller

yes i do know. used to live at beacon rock.

WTF are you doing on the site if you hate rock climbing, did anybody tell you that the mt. hood speculation thread was locked?

In 1811, Alexander Ross of the John Jacob Astor expedition called the rock Inoshoack Castle. The rock became known as Castle Rock until 1916, when the United States Board of Geographic Names restored the name back to Beacon Rock.

In the early 1900s, the Army Corps of Engineers planned to destroy Beacon Rock with dynamite. Railroad officials opposed the idea because they didn't want the blasting to drop boulders onto the train tracks. Their opposition was enough to get the demolition stopped. Another idea was to use Beacon Rock as a rock quarry.

:wave: