Whitney Tech Routes?

dmuja

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

R.J. Secor The High Sierra: Peaks, passes and Trails devote 5 pages to Whitney.

You might also get some beta here: http://www.mt-whitney.info/index.php

If you go down there... don't forget to get permits. Even if you're going in as a day trip you need a permit to go up the Whitney Portal trailhead or be in the Whitney zone if you enter from another trailhead and move into that area.

• 2 weeks later...

My information may be outdated, but as of the end of the climbing season last year, a day use permit was not required to ascend the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek, which is a climber's trail used to gain Iceberg Lake and the East Face, East Buttress, and Mountaineers' Routes on Whitney. That is a big day - most people go ahead and camp at Upper Boy Scout Lake or Iceberg Lake. An overnight permit is required to do so, but they are easier to gain than on the hiker's trail along the South Fork of Lone Pine Creek. The South Fork also requires permits for day use.

However last year climbers were also being asked to voluntarily "register" if they were accessing the North Fork for day use activity, which sounds ominously like the beginnings of another quota to me.

The East Buttress (5.6?) and mountaineers route (5.2? this is really a descent route) aren't that good, despite what Croft writes. I would do Keeler Needle (get up early-- the entrance starts getting bombed not long after the sun hits it). A much, much better moderate route than the Whitney ones is the Fishhook on Russell (5.8 or so) which is only 200 feet or so lower than Whitney and only about 30 more minutes of walking. Plus when you top out on Russell there won't be 35 idiots yelling "HEY YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE WHERE I AM!" into their cell phones.

If you are going in there for one route, it would be a massive day-- it's a loong and steep approach and the altitude would be very challenging. I would go in for 2-3 days-- camp at Lower Boy Scout if you have altitude issues-- do Fishook, Keeler and maybe Whitney.