mentor

shiva

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good advice muffy. How sad that in this day and age we have to be so careful offering advice to youngsters, but... alas, it's true.

I'll be getting my 14yo son out this summer once the weather warms up. We just moved here from down south and are fairly new to climbing, so hope to get involved in some family friendly events.

Climb on!

depending on your location you might want to check out the Mountaineers or the Mazamas, or the outing clubs of local universities to see if they would let you go on trips. you can always find someone motivated to learn beyond the basics in such clubs and organize your trips. also, if you go to high school ask around to see if there is a teacher who might sponsor an outdoors club, then organize trips or bring in trainings yourself. check your local area for any climbing seminars around. any of this would allow you to meet other climbers face to face before committing to a climb with them. read, read read, and practice rope systems in your basement or yard so you will have an idea of what you are doing before you go out trad climbing. also, if you get your hands on a rack go to bouldering areas and put a harness on, place as much gear as you can at eye level, and jump on it with all your might to start understanding what will hold and what won't. good luck, be safe. trust your intuition as to who might be sketchy, and don't let desire to climb lead you into unsafe people situations.

are you a female?

big mistake buddy but for the record no

My honest sugestion as a MOM is to ask your mom to contact the Mounties for you. they have great classes to teach you how to climb trad and Mountians with groups so you will not be in danger of falling prey to some kind of pedifile. 99% of the people i have met on cc.com have been cool. but not all of them. you need to stay in groups and stay safe. You have MANY MANY years of climbing in front of you. there is no reason to push this to hard to fast. have you read freedom of the hills? if not pick it up. Also you will want to pick up some Knot books. I like the ones John Long wrote but then i am deeply in love with him ;) Lots of people on this site have kids. My oldest is 12. it would be good for you to have your parents contact some of the parents on this site. We have kid rope ups where parents bring thier kids to camp and climb. as an adult it is not safe for any of us to contact you or spend time with you with out the full knowldege of you parents and thier participation.

Well said Muff...