mentor

shiva

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware of avalanche danger this year. It is keeping a lot of us out of the normal routine.

So, have you climbed ice at all?

What tools and pons do you have?

Boots?

Other gear?

Have you rock climbed? What level?

Have you summitted many peaks?

All questions inquiring minds want to know.

I don't climb ice but i want to

i have a ice axe but no pons and just hiking boots

I red point abut .10a-b on lead and onsight about .8

i have a rope and a bunch of draws and some slings and other sport gear

I haven't done much alpinisim but i want to learn

I live on Bainbridge island

wow that was gear-centric

Yes. It is hard to climb ice with inadequate gear.

Once you get out there you are confronted with the reality that it is really cold. Then you get your gear on.

Do the boots fit? If they are loose, the heals will drop and your points will slide out. Leather is typically a softer boot and while the heels won't ride up, the pons you can put on them will be alpine instead of ice pons. This can work and in fact, that is what I first climber vertical ice with. But the new pons with longer front points that clamp onto hard plastic boots that fit right is like wearing tight fitting climbing shoes with c-4 rubber instead of Converse tennis shoes.

The ice axes are next. Alpine curves are again what I started with. They are actually my preference on low angle ice but on vertical ice, recurves on well balanced sticks are huge enrgy savers.

Read this. http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/ice

It is really good.

Don't think that I am trying to dicourage you. When you are ready with the gear you need, I would be happy to go do an easy ice climb with you.

That is, if avy danger is reduced significantly.

ok ice is out i pretty much realized this as soon as i took a look at my gear...... what about some easy trad climbs when the rocks dry I pretty much just want to get out there and climb something

i know it's a boring route but south side of Adams anyone (in spring)

no usual partner most weekends bouldering alone or with some of my semi climbing friends (they don't lead or know how to belay). I got into climbing after watching some climbers on the grand wall of the chief through binoculars I was so enraptured so obsessed with what they were doing it was awesome. I am pretty good with ropes but I have no experience on multi pitch climbs so don't know how to stack the rope when you bring up a second

are you a female?

big mistake buddy but for the record no

My honest sugestion as a MOM is to ask your mom to contact the Mounties for you. they have great classes to teach you how to climb trad and Mountians with groups so you will not be in danger of falling prey to some kind of pedifile. 99% of the people i have met on cc.com have been cool. but not all of them. you need to stay in groups and stay safe. You have MANY MANY years of climbing in front of you. there is no reason to push this to hard to fast. have you read freedom of the hills? if not pick it up. Also you will want to pick up some Knot books. I like the ones John Long wrote but then i am deeply in love with him ;) Lots of people on this site have kids. My oldest is 12. it would be good for you to have your parents contact some of the parents on this site. We have kid rope ups where parents bring thier kids to camp and climb. as an adult it is not safe for any of us to contact you or spend time with you with out the full knowldege of you parents and thier participation.