Bluewood/Dayton Ice conditions??

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bala,

It's high 40s in Dayton right now, forecasted to be high 30s through next week. Given that Bluewood is a bit higher than Dayton, I'd say the temps would be in the low to mid-30s at best. Not low enough IMO to warrant a trip from Pullman to Bluewood. If anything is still up, I'm sure it's running water now.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove down to Bluewood today from Moscow and truth be told it wasn't worth making the trip. Ice is thin, especially at the top, and very inconsistent. If you're going to be making a trip I would suggest Copper Falls, some friends did it a few weeks ago and said the ice there was much better than the ice at Bluewood.

Thanks a ton for the update! I was actually waiting to hear from potential partners to go there tomorrow. I guess I'll stay home. At the same time, the highs are predicted to be in the 20s for the next few days. Hopefully, things will be in better shape in a week.

I heard the road to the trailhead for Copper falls is in bad shape now. Instead of Copper, I'll just go to Libby. The road cuts there were a bit thinner from what was reported here a month back, but things should be in great shape in a few days from now. More than plenty to keep you occupied for a day (or two).

Also, Chilco falls was in as seen on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
Ice is fat at the Weeping Wall. A big group from Whitman college climbed there on Saturday and conditions were very good. All the top anchors are now exposed (they chopped away the ice that was burying them.)

That figures!

I went out on Sunday to see if anyone was around, and I didn't run into anyone. I also didn't see a fat Weeping Wall. I must be totally off! I drove to Bluewood and back to mile marker 13 twice, finally parked at the pullout around mile marker 17 with the bathroom on the left as you drive up the hill (parking for like 5 cars). Crossed a bridge and hike for a mile or two. Eventually found some frozen seepage to climb on, but not fat ice. And, I didn't see anything standing at my car. Am I blind?

It is suppose to be totally visible from the road, correct? What pullout did you park at? Can I tag along with your group sometime?

Ken,

The Krawarik/Martin guide sez "The climbs are on the left side of the road at 17.4 miles, but are difficult to see approaching from [the Dayton] direction because they are hidden by a small hill. If you reach the Sno-Park at MP 20, you have gone too far. Turn around and proceed 2.6 miles back down the road [toward Dayton], to where the climbs are visible, 100 feet from the road."

HTH

PS: Check your post in the Partners Forum.

May be a piece of beta from the local expert would've helped. Note the "1.1 miles past the Middle Point Ridge Trailhead parking area" tip. I missed it the last time on the way up as well, but found it on the way back from the parking lot at the ski area. The pullout is quite small -- has space for may be two cars.

A group of 6-7 folks from WSU Alpine Club were there Saturday as well (not me, though). I hope things remain fat and cold for some more time -- I'll be looking to go there next weekend.

If you are driving toward the lodge you won't be able to see the ice because of the huge amounts of snow. Best place to park, that we found was at the first of two metal bridges and then backtrack a bit. It's super easy to miss if you're not looking, so drive slowly. It's roughly 19.4miles from the turnoff in Dayton and 17.4 miles from the sign that says 20 miles to the lodge.

Anyone have any recent pictures?

I tried to insert myself into Kevin's circle once, but was unsuccessful. I met him on a Smith trip.

Thanks for the beta.

I have climbed at the Dikes once, but I thought they were farther up the road from the Bluewood's turn-off???

It appears I was 1.1 miles short...

Actually, there is some good ice that is accessible from the Middle Point ridge trailhead (the pullout with bathrooms), but it's harder to find than the Weeping Wall. If you hike up the trail a quarter mile and then leave the trail and grunt straight up the steep hillside, you'll eventually strike a 30 ft. high band of cliffs. The ice is vertical and forms where a gully crosses this cliff band. You can see it from the main road if you know EXACTLY where to look, but otherwise it just blends into the snow on the mountainside. As far as I know, it's only been climbed a few times since I found it about 10 years ago.

Actually, there is some good ice that is accessible from the Middle Point ridge trailhead (the pullout with bathrooms), but it's harder to find than the Weeping Wall. If you hike up the trail a quarter mile and then leave the trail and grunt straight up the steep hillside, you'll eventually strike a 30 ft. high band of cliffs. The ice is vertical and forms where a gully crosses this cliff band. You can see it from the main road if you know EXACTLY where to look, but otherwise it just blends into the snow on the mountainside. As far as I know, it's only been climbed a few times since I found it about 10 years ago.