Mountain Hardware EV2 and EV3

ASmith

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was recently in the market for a comfortable + bomproof bona fide 2-man tent. I was very interested in both of these tents, but particularly the EV3. However, after reading a number of owner reviews I concluded that: a) the EV2 was too small for 2 (i.e., really just a solo tent akin to my Bibler i-Tent, albeit with more length); b) owners found the integrated vestibule on both the EV2 and EV3 somewhat impractical (e.g., the benefits of the added length for comfort/living area were offset by the tendancy for collecting snow/rain from entering the tent/gear storage and the need to hang stove for cooking); and, c) a couple of folks experienced snow press/collapsing concerns around the door (design flaw? and concern of the PNW area).

I ended up buying a Bibler Fitzroy + vestibule instead.

I just got back from a trip on Aconcagua and my partner and I used the EV2. It had enough room for the both of us but not our packs; just a small amount of gear and the stove could fit with us. Since there is less volume to take up we were warmer than most people, which is a plus if you dont mind being close to your buddy.

Pros: very light, easy to set up and take down, pretty storm/wind proof if set up right, good amount of interior pockets.

Cons: can be considered small for 2 people, more condensation/frost buildup than most tents, footprint is useless: makes the tent leak on the bottom seams because it stretches them too much, integrated vestibule is indeed useless.

Bottom lines is that the EV2 is a good tent but there are better single wall 2-person tents for that price. The main thing is the tent is very light, so if thats what you want then this is a good tent for that. It wasnt my tent but I would look at the Nemo Tenshi or the Nallo 2/3 GT. In my opinion these tents are better.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the EV3 to AK this year.

Snow in the vestibule. There is a zipper in the floor that we used to sweep it into.

Has a weird little flat spot that snow like to collect on. Then the condensate starts. Better than some doubles I have found.

I think there was something else i did not like about the tent but I do not remember now.

After 23 days in the range, we both decided we would take it again on our next trip to AK.