do monkeys pay for sex?

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that retired people must lose their identity, or do they replace their professional identity with something else? Assuming one lives long enough, one must eventually figure this out.

You're the retired one...why are you asking her?

Does this mean that retired people must lose their identity, or do they replace their professional identity with something else? Assuming one lives long enough, one must eventually figure this out.

You're the retired one...why are you asking her?

he's found meaning and identity... the TTK avatar and contests to run up and down Tiger Mtn.

so as someone whose identity is wrapped up in any one of a number of facets in my life from professional to family to hobbies to inate personality traits etc etc etc. what exactly should make up your identity if not for these things. sheesh.

This leads to the question: if your five senses were disconnected, would your consciousness eventually cease?

this question i cannot answer for you, but i have given you the path for discovering the answer for yourself, my little one. remember: it rhymes with fzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Staring at television static? I've tried it.

so as someone whose identity is wrapped up in any one of a number of facets in my life from professional to family to hobbies to inate personality traits etc etc etc. what exactly should make up your identity if not for these things. sheesh.

be in this world, but not of this world.

Believe ON the Lord.

Never did figure that one out.

What you say is true - the original banter was about TTKs obsession with his climbing and trail-running prowess, or his hobbies as it were. Given his lack of family and employment, this while irritating, is understandible.

The fact that he has bitch titties has several possible explanations - among them:

1) He doesn't work out and climb as much as he implies

2) He has a love of food

3) He got the fat gene and his physique is largely out of his control

The fact that he exists at all makes sense in an evolutionary context. His predecessors would likely have been highly sought after by predators due to their high caloric value, so they would have had to be either smart, fast, or both to survive.....based on his posts to date, and his self-volunteered Mailbox peak times, we can conclude it must be thanks to being fast.

Yes, I think when people retire, their identities continue to develop. No, they do not lose their professional identity. How could they? They did work for decades, right? And although they may not punch the timeclock anymore, the way they work with people, they way they approach projects or tasks in their personal lives has been shaped by what they did in the professional world. Furthermore, people who worked from home, at home, or for only two years also have this professional aspect to their personality as well.

The only reason I include this is that the current party line is that "I am not my job"; and I say bullshit to that. You really are partly defined by the work you do. To think your identity is not largely affected by this is just too woo-woo for me to buy into.

Yes, I think when people retire, their identities continue to develop. No, they do not lose their professional identity. How could they? They did work for decades, right? And although they may not punch the timeclock anymore, the way they work with people, they way they approach projects or tasks in their personal lives has been shaped by what they did in the professional world. Furthermore, people who worked from home, at home, or for only two years also have this professional aspect to their personality as well.

The only reason I include this is that the current party line is that "I am not my job"; and I say bullshit to that. You really are partly defined by the work you do. To think your identity is not largely affected by this is just too woo-woo for me to buy into.

i think it is at this stage that it becomes important for one to explicitly state what one means with the somewhat vague term "identity".

my job does not in any way "define" me, except for the fact that i do for money something that suits my previously existent energies/proclivities. i feel lucky in this way.

i could also see how one would start to define oneself according to one's activities, but i've always rejected this. am i a "climber"? no; i'm a "climber", definitionally, only while engaged in the activity of climbing. whenever someone asks me if i'm a climber, i tend to say "no, but i do climb on occasion."

just another angle....

not seen my family for decades

no friends to speak of

no enemies lurking

no career , no expertise

no ambition , no desires

i am the champion of mediocrity.

i do all the little things

nobody knows about.

the king, a single kingdom ,i am.

nothing to prove

all to improve