Banks Lake Ice

AlpineMonkey

whoever climbs on devil's punchbowl is either a complete moron or trying to commit suicide. witnessed today 30-40 ft dagger taking out entire bowl and snow slope below. don't go there till this shit falls off! the dust went as far as folly!

btw climbs near jameson lake looked the best, too bad we didn't scope them before the end of the day.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, we climbed Champagne and it is in great shape. Did not get as warm as yesterday. Will post some picthers as soon as my partner emails me them. Should be good tomorow. Going with a group to mess around with some lines by Lenore. Should be good farther north.DSC_0348.JPGDSC_0362.JPGDSC_0350.JPGDSC_0374.JPG

Edited by Paul_detrick

Jens and I left Seattle at 6:00am this morning to go to Franklin Falls, but the pass conditions were OK so we continued on to Banks to get on either Champagne, Pepper and Salt, or Zenith. We got scooped at Champagne and Zenith, so we looked at Pepper and Salt and decided it was too much fucking around on a crappy rock start. We took a couple of laps on Trotsky's Follies, then headed back and did Champagne, catching John and Jeff Street coming out in the process. Conditions on both climbs were excellent; Champagne was really superb. As we drove back the pass report indicated a closure at 8:00 pm for avi control; we made it through at 7:50. All offramps, including the one to Franklin Falls, were closed due to avi hazard, so we wouldn't have been able to climb there anyway.

Not a bad day for having to change our plan so many times.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Pat & I found that climbs at Banks are definitely filling in and I-90 was surprisingly good today.

The unclimbed pencil a few feet right of Champagne was coming off the rock but would be awesome if it was a little colder and a guy had a pair of brush shears for the end. It'd be like the last pitch of mixed master.

Their looked to be a party that had rapped in to the uppper part of zentih to toprope it. The salt and pepper rock start looks mellow, just reeeaaaly time consuming.

S&P:

1. rock approach is neither "soooo" nor "reeealy" slow ;), a very simple and short 5.0 traverse with 1-2 5.5 moves (overrating it to be sure), no drytooling. Use a few pitons (KB) for pro.

2. 60m rope - 2 60m halves - easily reaches the ground from the base of the ice column at the cave, with some rope to spare.

3. I'd approach to the bottom, gear up in the cave and walk up to the rock start.

The attraction on this route is a single pitch of good ice with lots of cool exposure.

We played on this stuff right on Leanore lk. It was fun. Found this hugh wall.DSC_0474.JPG

How is the carabiner perpendicular with the ground?

Eric and I (well I attempted, eric climbed it) children of sunshine on park lake. Fun stuff.

Zenith looks really fat, too bad another group was on it.

Edited by kevino