first the croc, now sunset bowl

olyclimber

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of the people who works in the information industry that the article makes fun of--I see the humor in that. But I am also of Scandinavian stock and I moved to Ballard seven years ago because I could get the food I grew up on and talk with other Danes. It also had the right density and so I was willing to drive farther in order to live in a community of single family homes.

I am completely dismayed at how fast everything changed. I am utterly disgusted that new people moving in (and I used to be the new guy--a number of my neighbors have had their homes 30 years) say they want to be there b/c they like the feeling of the area but then go ahead and change everything by building condo after condo. I'm so saddened by it that I will always fight against the high-density thing (outside of city centers) however I can.

given the choice between yuppie hell ballard or 10x the number of Monroe/Puyallup/Auburn strip mall hells, condos win everytime.

Every fly into LAX? those 150miles of suburbs are because they chose low density. Its even more soulless - the build a whole mall for the starbucks.

Your only other choice is not to grow.

I am one of the people who works in the information industry that the article makes fun of--I see the humor in that. But I am also of Scandinavian stock and I moved to Ballard seven years ago because I could get the food I grew up on and talk with other Danes. It also had the right density and so I was willing to drive farther in order to live in a community of single family homes.

I am completely dismayed at how fast everything changed. I am utterly disgusted that new people moving in (and I used to be the new guy--a number of my neighbors have had their homes 30 years) say they want to be there b/c they like the feeling of the area but then go ahead and change everything by building condo after condo. I'm so saddened by it that I will always fight against the high-density thing (outside of city centers) however I can.

That's cuz you scandeehoovians don't pump out enough li'l vikings. Ballard is a city center: it used to be it's own separate town back in the day.

You first tell me my choice is not to grow (which is the one I agree with; i.e. stop breeding) and then tell me I don't make enough pups to keep the pool going.

I know all about the history of Ballard--I have a lot of really great books and some old Scande friends that I get great stories from. Even better if enjoyed with an Aquavit.