Mitten Troubles

Shaun

I recieved a pair of Marmot Expedition Mitts for Christmas and got the chance to try them out the other day while ski-camping on Rainier.

They are very warm.

That is about the only good thing I can say about them. They seem like thy aren't very durable, although I don't know for sure because I haven't tore them or anything yet, but I can say that they are difficult to ski in. The liner isn't attached to the shell, making it very difficult to do anything with your hands with them on. The liner just slipps around inside the shell and there isn't much you can do about it. They were very nice during the night while sleeping, because of their warmth. They were too warm to ski in, on a cold, snowing day on Rainier. I ended up taking them off and just using some OR liners that I brought along instead.

So, I am going to try to return them and look for something else. I asked for mittens because I have never found a glove that kept my hands warm and dry. I have some Mtn Hardware gloves that get wet very fast (even after waterproofing them), and that is prety much the norm with me and gloves.

So, what do you recomend. I will be doing backcountry skiing and camping, along with some resort skiing. What are people's thoughts about Outdoor Research Latitude Mitts? These seem to fit what I am looking for fairly well, also the The North Face Mountain Guides look good. How do people like the removable liner? It seems like a good idea, and I could also wear a thin linner on warmer days?

Do you have any thoughts on the mitts that I mentioned? Or any ideas on what would work better for me?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

man, good luck. Gloves/mittens have always been my cross to bear -- cold and wet is pretty much the only experience with gloves I've ever had, and I try out several pairs a year. I have unusually cold hands.

I do have a pair of OR mitts which stay fairly warm and dry, but I can't do anything with my hands when I'm wearing them. And my hands take a long time to warm up, so if I take them off to do something, my hand is cold again forever.

I hope you find something that works.

I had the same problem. I got a pair of Marmot Work gloves and my hands are rarely cold or wet in them. If I notice my hands starting to sweat I take them off.

I've tried a lot of different gloves. Mittens not so much as those seem to be pretty standard--zero dexterity but plenty warm. The trade-off with gloves is the more insulated the glove the less dexterity you have until you reach a point at which you might as well be wearing mittens.

Sizing is a key issue--gloves that are too tight are worse than ones that are too loose as they will restrict blood flow and make it worse. I try and keep two sets of gloves on me, the Marmot Work Gloves when my hands are cold (i.e. first start out) and then a lighter pair after the blood starts flowing and I warm up.

I have cold hands but a glove system seems to work the best. You will not find a do it all glove. Think layers. I use liners for the most part for going up hill Or glove liners. When things get windy and or a little colder I use Mountain Hardware shell gloves with a very thin liner attached simular to these Or brand. When things get cold I put the liners on and stuff them into these mits Or mits. That set up is good for the cold and you can pull your warm hands out of the mits with liners on to keep them warm to adjust boots or what not. For decents and at times in the cold I use a glove simular to the Marmot work glove. But they don't keep my hand than warm or I sweat them out fast, and they are not that water proof. I take these up every time. Several pairs but I keep my hands dry and warm for the most part. As a final back up I take a pair of chemical hand warmers on every trip.

Another thing to consider if you are like me is keeping your arms warm. At times I trade off sweating and keeping the cold off my arms with a shell helps. I am starting to think that a pair of arm wamers simular to what bikers ware would be nice. I am tall and skinny no body fat to keep the blood warm and it is a long ways from my heart to my hands. I have found that I can be sweating at my core but my hand still cold. So thinking extra insulation on arms would help.

Dachstein mitts are surprisingly dexterous as far as mitts go since they're only one layer and thinner than insulated mittens; they're very warm, they dry from the inside outward when you're wearing them, and they're easy to take off for gear fiddling and then fairly easy to put back on.

When the shit hits the fan and all else fails I've always fallen back on the Dachsteins. And they're cool looking. Sort of.

Bicycle arm warmers are nice. When you get too warm, you just quickly roll them down to your wrists. Pretty flexible, easy to stuff in a pocket, and they do keep your hands warmer.

I put a shell mitt over whatever gloves I'm wearing when it gets colder. That seems to give me another 5 to 10 degrees of warmth.

Hind makes super thin liner gloves that will dry quickly and fit inside most other heavier gloves. In wetter conditions, it's better to have uninsulated shell gloves and thinner layers underneath so each layer can be dried out by body heat at night. In colder conditions, you can get away insulated gloves without worrying about getting them soaked. Any cheap, warm glove will do, as long as it isn't too tight. People often get cold hands from restricted circulation when they try to pack too many layers in a shell glove or mitt. In any case, sleep with your gloves, at least the inner, thinner layers, to dry them out every night.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Back in about 1981 I worked one winter in the oil fields of North Dakota. Temp often at about -40F, not including the windchill. We were putting in 90 hour weeks out in those temps working on a workover rig.

The gloves we used I have never seen anywhere else, but they were mittens, quilted work mittens, in which after a short time I could do almost as much as I could with gloves on. These were about $5-7 per pair if i remember correctly, wear out in a week, but would keep the hands usable for 16 hour days in extremely low temps.

I tell this story primarily to indicate that after a short time and a little practice, one can do almost as much in a mitten as they can in a glove. If you only wear them on rare occaisions, that will never occur.

mho