Mountain Loop Fiasco

cfire

. Having the tow truck operator put $1000 in the pocket of the deputy for hooking him up with the business isn't that unrealistic. Should be considered.

This statement seems way out of line

I also said, "Should be considered".

Considering is very different than accusing.

Consider Accuse

Towing referral kickbacks is a real problem (article - CLICK ME!). Hearing the stories my father told me of when he was a tow truck driver (granted it was in the late 1960's) in San Francisco, opened my mind enough to have this consideration myself. As soon as people stop considering likely (and historically recurrent) possibilities, then anyone with a little imagination can get away with anything.

Although I doubt Cooters was getting kickbacks.

101703-Cooter001.jpg

It wasn't my intent to argue about this. My intent was to throw the idea into the bucket of possibilities.

If no good enough reason is given as to why the cars were towed versus ticketed, maybe possibilities like the I one I suggested considering will be, well, considered. I would like to think that all law enforcement makes just and fair decisions for the good of the people, and hopefully in this case they did.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any more thoughts on this?

The snowmobile clubs are organized to keep the snowparks open, but backcountry skiers, boarders, and snowshoers don't seem to have much of a voice - something in common with rock climbers - so in some ways it should come as no surprise that the DOT, the Sheriff - and even to some extent the Forest Service - don't consider our concerns as much as we'd like them to. Regardless of who is "to blame" here, letters and phone calls to various public agencies are probably in order.

Mattp: You should check out the Winter Wildlands Alliance. They exist solely to give non motorized recreation folks a voice on the use and management of public lands.

Good stuff!

"Alliance" must be the word that the focus groups all like these days. There is the "outdoor alliance" that is a national consortium of non-motorized recreation groups that exists for similar purposes, though not specific to winter recreation.