video worth watching

mccallboater

That video cracks me up.

Just got back from skiing A-Basin and there were some kickass tele'ers there. They were ripping GS turns through knee high moguls on double blacks. :o I still never want to do it though. I've seen too many face-plants from by my friends who have been doing it for years. Maybe I just love my dynafits. :tup:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad the video author showed some *barely* skilled tele skiers (one of 'em certainly had to be the author himself).
The author, "AT Anonymous" is Andrew McLean, a well known ski mountaineer, randonne racer and gear designer. While he loves to bash tele, I suspect that he could still rip it up if properly incentivized. A few offers have been made on Telemarktips, but he's never stepped up as far as I know.

:lmao: Well known is right. I didn't realize it was "AT Apostle" himself, author of the Chuting Gallery, ex-Utah avy forecaster, and one of the biggest names in BC skiing. I should've known before now, as I first saw that vid many months ago (maybe a year or so?). Too funny. Used to speak with Andrew when he worked for BD. IF he's one of the tele'ers shown in the vid, I can see why he likes to bash it. :D Certainly he's a helluva good alpine skier, but I ain't taking back my "barely skilled" quote. :/

Hey Pindude,

When I was in Idaho it was Moscow ID in the mid 80s. All the tele folks were on the classic 3 pin bindings; they were all pretty good.

I remember a number of good trips to Freezeout Ridge and down to NE Oregon to ski near Aneroid Lake.

And they were likely much, much better than me. In the mid-80s I was still learning (oh, and I'm still learning now) and back then doing a lot of face-planting with a large, external-frame Jansport pack that threw me around on skinny skis during a few multi-day trips into the Wallowas, in addition to the bigger passes closer to home.

Here's a trailer of one of my fav ski vids. And, yes, that's Andrew McLean appearing at around 3:35 from a segment called "Master Piste Theatre" from the actual movie, where Andrew is the erudite, brandy-snifting, pipe-smoking, Alastair Cooke-like host, reciting "lines" from The Chuting Gallery. :tup:

N-KFEJ6R8kk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...