video worth watching

mccallboater

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having done both tele and AT, I still prefer tele in a wider set of circumstances. Especially when you get into thick trees and long approaches. I would rather tele pow pow and even breakable crust. Although boarders clearly have the advantage in crust and crud.

But for me, the clencher for AT over tele was the need to ice climb and not carry two pairs of boots.

Either way, I would not wear Birckenstocks.

Yeah. Getting in a nice stable tele position and carving a long fast GS turn in powder is really hard to beat.

In steep, deep powder, long GS turns are surely beat by regular, quick, rising-and-sinking, short-radius turns straight down the fall line...I've just had 3 straight days of 'em!

:grin::moondance::rawk::moondance::grin:

Nice. Never skiied but I must say, telemark doesn't look as fun as AT. Though it appears telemarkers can get away with blaming the gear - poles especially :)

What a pathetic display of begging for forgiveness after total failure.

He will never leave Idaho.

Yup. :wave:

Too bad the video author showed some *barely* skilled tele skiers (one of 'em certainly had to be the author himself).

I am ready to sell all my ski gear and convert. Good video.

e

high on rock: your tele gear's already too old to be used anywhere but for display on a wall. ;) Give me a call and I'll set you up with some real gear.

Interesting that a few of my friends who've switched over to the dark side in the past few years--a current trend--the biggest reasons are lack of skill on tele boards, or old age/injury.

mccall boater: you're too funny, you instigator. This vid has been making the rounds for a year or so now, and it is pretty darned funny. I assume you're still cranking p- or tele-turns on lightweight NNN-BC gear (among the other set-ups you have in your quiver)...I just got a similar set-up myself for days like we currently have, but doubt I'll ever be able to keep up with you.

Regardless, whether it's AT, tele, or boarding, it's all bliss when you're sliding downhill on good snow.

Yeah. Getting in a nice stable tele position and carving a long fast GS turn in powder is really hard to beat.

In steep, deep powder, long GS turns are surely beat by regular, quick, rising-and-sinking, short-radius turns straight down the fall line...I've just had 3 straight days of 'em!

:grin::moondance::rawk::moondance::grin:

That is fun. No arguement.

But my tastes lean toward a high speed experience.

I'm embarrassed to say I once tried tele. I was living in Idaho and the options for skiing while I lived in Idaho were to go out and bc ski with a university group that all tele skied. They convinced me that I should try tele and I'd like it better than the AT mode that I was used to. To top it all off I'd left my AT gear at home and the only option then was to rent from a university that only carried tele gear.

I went out on a couple trips. Eventually I would have picked it up, but I figured why bother when you can already ski. The next year I had my AT skis with me. I still had to hang out with the tele crowd and listen to a load of crap about my, "unhip form of skiing." Eventually after a season they all came up to me and said, "I guess that is a pretty cool way to ski."

I've had a couple good tours with folks that are so disabled that they can't quit tele skiing. That's cool as long as they're having fun. Me, I'll stick with the form of skiing my dad and all his buddies were doing in the 40s.

Tele is so new age, but you will note new age rhymes with sewage.

What a pathetic display of begging for forgiveness after total failure.

He will never leave Idaho.

Yup. :wave:

You know I'm kidding right?

I was piling it on, as it was deserved. Yes, great vid indeed.

I'm embarrassed to say I once tried tele...Tele is so new age, but you will note new age rhymes with sewage.

Ah, that explains. No wonder. Couldn't do it, so now you disparage it. :whistle:;)

Feck, was it the Moscow/UI or Pocatello/ISU folks? About what year?

Can't say I'm good at either fixed- or free-heel, but I do both and can get down stuff. Tele isn't new age as much as it's been rediscovered. When I first started skiing in the backcountry in the 70s, AT wasn't readily available. At least primitive tele gear was. Even though I was more experienced as a fixed heel skier, I went with tele equipment to go where I wanted away from the lifts. The only other stuff I saw out in the BC in the greater Inland NW (Kettle Range, Selkirks, Bitterroots, Wallowas, occasionally the Cascades) was tele gear until around the late 80s. Even through the 90s, it was mostly tele gear in the BC. Now I see lotsa both. And now that AT and tele gear are fairly similar, it's more up to the skier as far as performance goes.

OK Pindude, I did buy used approximately 10 years ago, but still seems like valid gear (?) OK, I will update with some AT.

You do know me too well!

e

E, Technology of tele gear has progressed by leaps and bounds in the last 10+ years. A lot more than even AT gear. If you never got the tele turn down, by all means go with AT as it's easier to learn and progress on. If you do go AT and your plans are to get into the backcountry, remember only two words: Dynafit Tourlite. However, I've got a couple different tele ski and boot/binding systems (we're pretty similar sized, and my feet are about US 10.5) you're welcome to borrow any time for the lifts or to use in the BC with skins.

I'm way beyond the gear Pindude remembers me using, but it's still archaic compared with new stuff. Hey Steve, didn't I teach you how to tele?

Lightweight gear still has it's place, but as tele gear has gotten bigger and better I've been going with that too. Yes, teach you did, and I'm STILL learning! And if I keep at it, I might just be able to keep up with both you and Feck. :/

Too bad the video author showed some *barely* skilled tele skiers (one of 'em certainly had to be the author himself).
The author, "AT Anonymous" is Andrew McLean, a well known ski mountaineer, randonne racer and gear designer. While he loves to bash tele, I suspect that he could still rip it up if properly incentivized. A few offers have been made on Telemarktips, but he's never stepped up as far as I know.