Vail Ice

I'm going to be in Vail the 30th-1st climbing. I've never climbed there. Does anyone know what the conditions are like right now or where I can find out? Is avy danger an issue? I've checked out mountain project, but any further info would be sweet.

Also, I know it's a long ways from the NW, but anyone going to be down there and interested in getting out? I want to send the fang if it's in.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Vail area avalanche info:

http://avalanche.state.co.us/Forecasts/Vail+Summit+Co

I don't think it's going to improve much in the next week.

I was in the backcountry last week near Breck up to 13,000' on a generally Eastern slope and the wind was loading up the leeward South-Southeast pretty heavily.

So I think it depends on the altitude/attitude surrounding terrain as to whether it is safe or not.

As far as the ice, I couldn't tell you,except from I-70 nothing looked exceptionally "in".

FWIW

Yeah, I know Cody is having epic conditions, but I'm not in Bozeman right now. I'm stuck in South Dakota.

I'm going there because I have a ride, a free place to stay, and nothing better to do. I'd rather swing my tools than waste money skiing, and it's my last chance to get out on the ice anywhere this year. I'm off to Central America for six months next Friday.

Plus, the pictures I've seen of the fang look incredible. Must climb...

I wouldn't get your hopes up for the fang. I lived there for an entire season and it never touched down. I don't remember any avalanche danger on these climbs... they're pretty well set in the woods. If the fang isn't in they're still a lot of other stuff to climb. Try the Thang for one, Secret Probation is nice and you can head up to the Belfry and try some of the hard Purnell mixed routes or just run up the Pencil and Eraser.