Moving to Oregon

psychobikere

I am planning on moving to Newport,OR around the first of February, and am trying to learn as much as I can about the climbing scene out there. I have lived in Boston for the past four years, and have climbed quite a bit all through NE. I climb ice, alpine, sport, trad, and boulder. I just graduated and am starting a job out there, but am looking forward to climbing as much as possible. I guess I am looking for any info that might help me out as far as access, areas, partners, and anything involving a good beer. I have heard great stuff about the pacific nw, and am excited to get out there and see for myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Steve

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I drove up to nh from boston just about every weekend to climb, so I'm no stranger to having to put the miles in for some good climbing. I have never really been involved in developing any areas, but am always up for more of an adventure. I have only surfed a couple times, but am definitely looking forward to learning. It seems like it's tough to find someone to teach you though, as I always here about a lot of localism and secrecy with surf spots. Hopefully it's not like that though, and I hear about the exceptions rather than the rule. I am looking forward to moving out there soon, so if anyone wants to get together for a climb or a beer please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

• 4 months later...

so I moved out to Newport in Feb, and have been surfing my ass off ever since. Made it out to Smith the other weekend and realized how much I have missed climbing, and how rusty I am. I am looking to get back into it; rock, alpine, and ice. Wondering if anyone is up for showing me around the Cascades. I was always drawn more to the alpine routes, but haven't found anyone on the coast here who climbs much at all. I consider myself a competent climber/leader, especially compared to some of the stories I have been hearing recently (the high e incident at the gunks). Hope someone out there can help me out!

Congrats - glad to hear you took up the surfing - great way to stay in shape for climbing. There are lots of alpine folks around here, I'm not one of them though. If you are going to be in pdx and wanting to get on rock then pm me. Maybe pm Ivan for the alpine stuff.