Second thoughts on fluoridation

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The liquidation of Florida, although it might seem like a good idea, is a transaction that surely would prove prohibitively expensive. Not even a benevolent nation like Cuba could be expected to take Florida off our hands, no matter what payment we promised as compensation.

In Mount Vernon (where I grew up) they debated water floridation for about 5 years before deciding to go ahead with it. It seemed like half of the letters to the editor in the paper during that period sounded like something you would hear on Dr. Strangelove. Now it has been a year or so since they decided to go ahead with it, but I recently read that they don't actually have any way to fund it. 5 years of fighting over something that they didn't have a plan to pay for. :crazy:

As a parent with a 4 year old that has a mouth full of cavities, despite religious brushing/flossing, I am all for the fluoride. I think the overall benefits outweigh the possible negatives. Our little town does not put it in the water and the dentist tells me that is why she gets so many cavities. I'm sure all that candy Santa brought has absolutely no bearing on the matter.

As a parent with a 4 year old that has a mouth full of cavities, despite religious brushing/flossing, I am all for the fluoride. I think the overall benefits outweigh the possible negatives. Our little town does not put it in the water and the dentist tells me that is why she gets so many cavities. I'm sure all that candy Santa brought has absolutely no bearing on the matter.

Denali Dave: just take the lil fella into the dentist and they'll paint his lil teeth with a heavy coating. Why make him drink it every day when he can rinse and spit and be done with it in 20 min, and not suffer the stuff in his body every day forever? (and by proxy the rest of us as well)

His other shortcomings notwithstanding, Bush's tax cuts were and remain good economic policy. Tell me, Hugh, what are Madame Hillary's thoughts on capital gains?

Yeah a weak dollar is great!

And the largest national debt ever. Cool!

And all indicators pointing at recession. Right on course.

Bill was a jerk in many ways (I can list them if you are interested) but he presided over the longest running economic growth cycle in history.

Find aother way to attack the Clintons and I might agree with you. Bush over Hillary in the field of economics? You have to be retarded.

His other shortcomings notwithstanding, Bush's tax cuts were and remain good economic policy. Tell me, Hugh, what are Madame Hillary's thoughts on capital gains?

I find her advocacy of the death penalty for tax cheats refreshing, the idea of asset seizure for anyone posessing over $100k in assets tempting, and the forcible redistribution of mcmansions pandering of the best sort.

Well, I don't get too many cavities.

If your child takes care of her teeth and she still gets gets too many cavities, she's eating way too much sugar. Perhaps The State should provide helpful nutrition consultants to help you make better choices at the grocery store.

My plug for personal responsibility.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

women sense my power, and seek the life-essence...

i do not avoid women...but i do deny them my essence

when did you first become...well, develop this theory?

well...it was during the physical act of love, dan...a profound feeling of fatigue came over me...luckily i was able to interpret these feelings correctly - loss of essence! i can assure you, it has not happened again!

I find her advocacy of the death penalty for tax cheats refreshing, the idea of asset seizure for anyone posessing over $100k in assets tempting, and the forcible redistribution of mcmansions pandering of the best sort.

Your extra constitutional ideas should render you ineligible to vote. Rodham/Clinton has not proposed any such ideas. :shock:

The National Research Council report referred to in the article talks about levels of fluoride resulting from natural runoff and industrial polution. The lower levels produced by artificial fluoridation are "beyond the scope of this report". So right away the Scientific American article is twisting the truth there.

It referenced current scientific studies. A quick search of pub med didn't find anything besides high doses in rats. The most current one was a negative result.

So in short, Scientific American has lost credibility in my book.

Basically fluoride does have related toxicities in high doses. Like salt, chlorine, and dihydrogen monoxide. Should we ban the addition of chlorine to our drinking water?