Do Aetheists celebrate Christmas?

ryland_moore

With the topic of Christianity in the mountains, many of the cc.comers have come out and stated that they are aetheists. With the Christmas season upon us, what do the aetheists on this board do on Christmas morning? I would have to assume that if you do not believe in Jesus, then why would you celebrate a day chosen to celebrate his birth? I would also assume that if you celebrate Christmas, then you are a hypocrite? Two recent court cases brought by aetheists to try and get the Christmas holiday revoked using separation of church and state as an argument and that govt. should not support a religious holiday of one religion without providing equal holidays for other religions. Both courts determined that Christmas is a religious holiday and not a secular holiday. So how do aetheists and even agnostics (since you don't associate with any religion) spend December 25th?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, christmas is a holiday to spend time with family and friends. I could care less about celebrating jesus, but the day still holds some tradition for me. I would be just as happy if the feds gave us the 23rd or 26th or whatever else as a holiday instead. I have had some friends whose families celebrated solstice instead, and that always seemed like a cool thing to do.

Porter, good point. Christmas does seem to be a lot about consumerism and consumption. As a christian and liberal-minded I try not to celebrate the gift giving by supporting major companies that cause so much harm around the world. However, many non-believers also seem to be liberal minded, so why would they want to support a holiday from a secular stand that focuses on spending money, supporting large corporations, increasing profits for the wealthy, and overall supporting a republican/conservative agenda? If all aetheists do is use the time to be with family and friends, then that is cool, but supporting what they speak out against vehemently seems a little contradictory to how aethiests on this board post and hopefully live their daily lives. I try to minimize gifts and celebrate the birth because I do not believe in consumerism and feel that is does further the conservative agenda. I just find it interesting for those that know it as a religious holiday, but treat it as a secular holiday but still support a conservative agenda by participating.

This sort of argument presumes that you have to believe in the supernatural myths that underly a particular holiday in order to enjoy the cultural traditions that the myths gave rise to. I don't believe in any of the various supernatural phenomena originally associated with halloween/all-saints-day, but I celebrate Halloween, etc.

xmas is definitely secular

*sarcasm* i can't imagine why folks who don't believe in a little fairy in the sky would want to brighten up the beginning of the most dismal season of the year with good food, booze, laughs n' family.

i like xmas for no other reason than guerilla harvesting trees out of my neighbors' yards :)

With the topic of Christianity in the mountains, many of the cc.comers have come out and stated that they are aetheists. With the Christmas season upon us, what do the aetheists on this board do on Christmas morning? I would have to assume that if you do not believe in Jesus, then why would you celebrate a day chosen to celebrate his birth? I would also assume that if you celebrate Christmas, then you are a hypocrite? Two recent court cases brought by aetheists to try and get the Christmas holiday revoked using separation of church and state as an argument and that govt. should not support a religious holiday of one religion without providing equal holidays for other religions. Both courts determined that Christmas is a religious holiday and not a secular holiday. So how do aetheists and even agnostics (since you don't associate with any religion) spend December 25th?

I celebrate Christmas because I don’t have a choice. My company recognizes it and they are closed. I used to spend every Christmas climbing on that day. Now I have a family and its all about the children. Christmas has nothing to do with religion in my book. It is just a way for Nordstrom’s to sell lots of expensive clothing…..and greeting cards.

Why are you singling out the Atheists? Huh? Why pick on them?! Are they that much worse than the Hindus, Muslims and yes, even a few jews, who give Christmas presents?

What does Christmas have to do with Christians? I never understood that. If the dude is dies within few days of his birthday, but he dies in April, what are these people doing celebrating his ostensible birthday in the middle of the winter?

I celebrate Happy HannaChriswanzaaear! It takes about two weeks, but, the effort is worth it.

I celebrate Christmas because I don’t have a choice. My company recognizes it and they are closed. I used to spend every Christmas climbing on that day. Now I have a family and its all about the children. Christmas has nothing to do with religion in my book. It is just a way for Nordstrom’s to sell lots of expensive clothing…..and greeting cards.

I don't believe it... I find myself agreeing with The Bone on this one. My wife and I consider ourselves agnostic. That being said, we took our kids to a universalist/unitarian church (because it was the most we could stand) for a few weeks last winter/spring when my eldest started asking questions about God (which he learned about from the Mormon neighbors).

But anyway... my employer, too, is closed for Christmas. I, too, used to spend every Christmas vacation fucking like minks, boozing, partying, and climbing. But I have kids now. Like The Bone said, Christmas, for all its foibles, is not about religion in my book. It's about the kids. And a way for retailers the world over to make a buck on everyone. So is President's Day... and Valentine's Day... and Memorial Day... and Independence Day... and... well you get the idea. :rolleyes:

And to echo JosephH's comment... You guys think Christmas is commercialized here in this country? You should see it in southern Vietnam!! We were literally fucking astounded at the display and pageantry that was trotted out for this holiday. Couldn't fuckin' believe it. :noway: China wasn't nearly as bad as Vietnam was in this regard.

To echo crackers's comment, Happy Ramahanukwanzmas! :wave: It's all just so much shit.

Well, Ryland, this is an excellent question. Many atheists are too busy filing law suits against nativity scenes and strangling puppies to observe any holidays, and why bother? Most of us have no hope, no friends, no future.

There are, however, a very few atheists who desperately cling to the notion that they actually care for other people, despite the fact that it's well known that all love comes from God, so this isn't possible. And besides, who wants to hang around with an eternal life killjoy? In a pathetic attempt to appear normal, these pre-Christian wannabes do attempt to celebrate Christmas, but they call it Saturnalia (the soltice celebration the Christians coopted for their Christmas, as Christ was probably born in the spring), or "Solstice", which gives the atheist a remote chance of getting laid with a wicka follower or other representative of the urban pagan crowd. This Christmas celebrating atheists, in deference to their counterculture image, do not generally fall for the "commercialization" of Christmas. Aside from saving them some cash, they're not going to get any gifts from anybody anyway.

CCA's (Christmas Celebrating Atheists) usually spend Christmas eve drinking to oblivion in an attempt to escape, if only for one night, the bleakness of their terminal, meaningless existence. This sets them up for a skull crushing hangover the following morning, when they must finally face "The Family". Christmas morning is spent returning Mother's wan and pitying smile, surviving Father's resigned look of dissappointment, and briefly basking in the bright, innocent light of a niece or nephew before brother or sis wisks them away from the Unbelieving One. The rest of the holiday is usually spent contemplating suicide, but since this is all we've got, what would be the point of that?

So, I hope this helps you to understand that atheists, even if they are damned to burn in an eternal lake of fire while having their skin ripped off and Crazy Glued back on over and over again by laughing demons armed with lemon juice filled squirt guns, are people, too. People with hopes, although not many, dreams, however shortlived and unattainable, and families, albeit ashamed ones.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

...So, I hope this helps you to understand that atheists, even if they are damned to burn in an eternal lake of fire while having their skin ripped off and Crazy Glued back on over and over again by laughing demons armed with lemon juice filled squirt guns, are people, too. People with hopes, although not many, dreams, however shortlived and unattainable, and families, albeit ashamed ones.

priceless! :lmao:

What does Christmas have to do with Christians? I never understood that. If the dude is dies within few days of his birthday, but he dies in April, what are these people doing celebrating his ostensible birthday in the middle of the winter?

My understanding is that Christmas is celebrated at this date because a Christian emperor way back in Roman days wanted to tone down the out of control partying associated with the Winter Solstice. He fixed his "problem" by turning it into a religious holiday.