Bicyclists without lights

Hugh Conway

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same goes for cars. If a car doesn't have its headlights on, I can't really see it coming in my bike mirror until it's practically on top of me. Even in the light of day, the darker color cars blend in with the color of the pavement when you're looking at them in a tiny, vibrating mirror.

43448.gif

you get injuered climbing...search & rescue is put at risk. dependants at risk. climbers below you at risk...etc...

bike w/o lights would just get run over and maybe dent a fender, eh?

(btw - i don't care either way about either scenario...)

If you don't care why are you posting?

You'd care a lot after the 'dark cyclist' you put in the hospital and his/her lawyer sucked your assets dry.

BTW, for all you dark riders out there:

By far the most visible (forward) lights I've seen have been two synchronized flashers on either end of the handlebars. Single flashing LEDs headlights, while much better than nothing, just get lost in all the light noise. Those who regularly play car roulette in winter time when drivers can barely see other cars might think about making a little life preservation investment.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

By far the most visible (forward) lights I've seen have been two synchronized flashers on either end of the handlebars.

Exactly. I use 2 separate super bright LEDs that flash so it appears like the oscillating headlights on police cars. They stand out. On the back an equally annoying bright, flashing light. I might even don a fluorescent construction vest if it's really bad. sickie

We've had a couple of well publicised cycling deaths lately and day or night, I'm pretty certain I can be seen.

What I really want to get for riding on trails in the dark is this light: Niterider These things leave sear marks wherever it shines. :tup:

We've had a couple of well publicised cycling deaths lately and day or night, I'm pretty certain I can be seen.

And even after a few get crunched under trucks and what not, some of the younger generation (and some of the old as well) still don't understand the vital importance of making your self as visible as possible. After all, there are humans driving those cars, and as we all know, humans make mistakes.

I get to enjoy it from both aspects, as a Bike rider and someone that drives a pretty large box van to run my business out of.

And, I still don't understand why some bike riders in PDX feel that the traffic regulations do not apply to them. Perhaps this attitude is present in other places, I have yet to see that. Don't be too suprised that when you have no lights on your bike, and run the red light, that you end up under a garbage truck, dead.

And even after a few get crunched under trucks and what not, some of the younger generation (and some of the old as well) still don't understand the vital importance of making your self as visible as possible. After all, there are humans driving those cars, and as we all know, humans make mistakes.

In the absence of predators, we need to have selective pressures somewhere.

Edited by octopuswithafez