Birthday Perspective

rob

Recently, I became very ill with dengue hemorrhagic fever while climbing in Thailand. I was severely ill for four days before travelling to a hospital in Bangkok. When I was admitted, I was delirious and nearly unconscious with fever and pain. The virus had attacked my blood, demolishing my platelets and threatening my blood pressure. I was convulsing, and my organs had begun to hemorrhage. I was bleeding internally. I was going into shock. If Cassie had not called an ambulance that night, I might have died.

All said, I would spend 7 days in the hospital. It will take me weeks to fully recover.

This was the first time I had ever been seriously ill, and was a frightening experience. It changed me in many ways. I realized how many people I loved, and how little time I'd spent showing them. Life is short. Nothing is more important than your friends and loved ones. I had forgotten how important it is to tell your loved ones how you feel about them.

Today I turn 29. I've begun the process of recovery. But my perspective on life has changed. Things that seemed important now seem trivial. What is important to me now are my friends, my loved ones, and the mountains. Nothing else seems to matter as much. I've realized that my riches surround me, and they don't have anything to do with money.

I know this is pretty ghey, but I get one ghey post per birthday, right?. I just needed to let my friends know that I love them, and I wanted to share my new perspective. I don't think I'll ever look at things the same, and I hope that I inspire you to see them a little differently, too.

Now, I need to go climbing!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rob! Happy Birthday.

I attended a funeral yesterday for one of the mom's at my kids school. She would have been 42 on Christmas Eve. Really made me think about some things you mentioned.

Glad you are on the road to recovery! Make a good with when you blow out those candles!

Some of my best friends are ghey! :tup:

Thanks for sharing more about your experience and about how the journey has changed you. Glad it hasn't changed your passion for the rock, buddy!(I was afraid that was where you were going with that...whew!)

Looking forward to roping up with you again this spring!

Happy Birthday!!! :moondance:

Rob, ice season is here dude. Don't be a stranger. I too had a bit of some close calls this year and a close climbing friend die. I've backed off the climbing a bit to attend to other of life's riches and to get a bit of perspective. It's nice to have a bit of the check every now and then to keep it real. Hope you feel good enough to get on some ice, soon. :tup:

Glad you're still with us Rob.

With my near death earlier this year I know I got all sappy and told my family I loved them, etc. Luckily I got over all that pretty quick. So don't worry, you'll lose that perspective quick enough. LOL, just kidding brah.

It is pretty cool when all the contrivances of humankind fall away (work, laws, money, etc) and you understand what is really important.

happy bday.

Glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery, and I wish you well in your efforts to retain that perspective. Seems to get more difficult as time passes for most people who, despite the epiphany, still have to work for a living, pay bills, drive in traffic, etc.

His perspective doesn't have to be money vs. no money, but instead why money is important to him. He's got great riches in his two cute kids. Framing the dollar chase around supporting them to thrive (versus new car, stereo, etc.) can make the rat race a much more fulfilling quest.

Happy Birthday Rob!birthday.gif

Glad you're here to celebrate it. :brew:

If Cassie had not called an ambulance that night, I might have died.

That Cassie sounds like an awesome woman, BTW.

For her to have posted here about your illness, knowing that this was your "tribe" and how much it would mean to you to have your support to come from here, speaks volumes about the level of support and respect you two share.

A rich man, indeed. :)

If Cassie had not called an ambulance that night, I might have died.

That Cassie sounds like an awesome woman, BTW.

For her to have posted here about your illness, knowing that this was your "tribe" and how much it would mean to you to have your support to come from here, speaks volumes about the level of support and respect you two share.

A rich man, indeed. :)

She should win "Most Dramatic First Post Ever" award :tup: :tup:

Glad to see you pulled through. A friend of mine came down with Dengue when we were in Saigon together and I watched him sweat through it for 5 days. Didn't have it nearly as bad as it sounds like you did, and it still wasn't pretty. Usually in adults I think it takes more than one bout of Dengue to have a reaction like you had. Assume you know this already, but you should avoid further exposure for a while -- your body will eventually regain its strength against Dengue but for a while if you get infected again it can be pretty bad. My recollection is that the doctors told my friend to stay out of Dengue areas for 5 years to be safe.

And I don't even play a doctor on TV!

But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn . . .