Backcountry skiing around Vancouver, BC?

mythosgrl

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just back from snowshoeing up Hollyburn which is above the Cypress ski resort cross country ski area. The skiing isn't amazing but it's a good little jaunt for how close it is to the city. We saw about a half dozen skiers up there today.

Another popular spot is the area around Brockton point on Mt. Seymour.

I think those areas are a better option than Grouse.

If you're willing to drive for about an hour then the Elfin Lakes area in Squamish is a nice but extremely popular area.

If you're willing to drive to Whistler there's lots of BC skiing and if you have the money a one ride lift ticket is pretty good option.

If that's too far I believe there's bc skiing from Grouse, Cypress, and Seymour. The Canucks know better than me though.

Feck...how much is a one-ride ticket at Whistler +/-?

Backcountry passes at Whistler are $42 right now.

Conditions on the local mtns around Vancouver are excellent right now and I've been skiing fresh powder after work at Seymour for the last 4 days. Cypress is good, but Seymour will give you more bang for your buck. The backcountry at Grouse is very limited and you'll need to pay your way up on the tram, so forget about it.

Pick up John Baldwin's book at MEC on your way through for the complete details: http://john_baldwin.bivouac.com/exploring.htm

Everything will be busy on the weekend. Be aware also that the road to Diamond Head is pretty bad right now and many folks are getting stuck/sliding off the road.

Seymour is recommended. Ski up the trail that starts beside the Mystery Peak lift (quite obvious). Once you get to Brockton Point, it's decision time. There is a nice run from Brockton Point down to De Pencier Lake that is almost never skied as it is not obvious from above. Start down from the low point on the trail about 100m north of Brockton Point.

There is also good skiing in the basin to the W of the col between the 2nd and 3rd peak of Seymour.

More adventurous lines exist on the east side of all 3 peaks, and on the slopes above Theta Lake, but these require very stable snow, good vis and a steep ascent to get back home.

The ski runs are lit and provide a nice run down at the end of the day, plus a jib or two. Only gapers ski the trail back to the parking lot.

Obviously, check carefully for avalanche hazard. Plus if it's foggy the entire mountain becomes very confusing to navigate.

Have fun!

• 3 years later...

Well, I think there's a sign saying you're not supposed to, but with a bit of stealth....

There's a nice (short) run down the west ridge of the first peak. It's a bit out of the way and is not often skied. The turnaround point is fairly obvious - it suddenly gets quite steep and the trees thicken. Be careful not to ski down anything you can't skin up. Don't try to contour the SW side of the 1st peak back to Brockton Point - you will meet with a nasty gully.