John Scurlock- 1/2/08 - Skagit Alpine Club

JasonG

"Snow & Spire: Flight Beyond The Edge of Winter"

John Scurlock - January 2, 2008

7 p.m., Skagit Alpine Club

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

In summer, the remote ranges of the Western U.S. and Canada hold plenty of adventure for climbers, hikers, and skiers. In winter, however, access issues and weather conspire to keep most much closer to the comforts of civilization. Most of us who make brief forays to the edge of winter wilderness, get just a taste of what lies beyond. But by building his own airplane, and battling winds and shifting weather, John Scurlock has found a way to travel beyond the edge of winter and bring back riveting images to share with those who have only looked in from the fringe. These images have spurred climbers and skiers to take to the hills; John has been the catalyst behind numerous first ascents and descents in recent years, and has written feature articles for Alpinist and the Northwest Mountaineering Journal. Please join us at the January meeting of the Skagit Alpine Club, as John shares tales and images of what it is like to pilot winter flights into the heart of some seriously remote terrain- solo.

For a taste of what is sure to be a great presentation, please visit his website: http://www.pbase.com/nolock. . . .and read John's articles: http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/05/051_Scurlock.html

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP21

The meeting will be at Skagit valley College, Ford Hall Room 101, 7pm. http://www.skagit.edu/images/color_mvCampus.pdf

Edited by Heinrich

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the warning everyone. Due to the rumors of a big turnout, I've gotten us into an auditorium that will seat a lot more people. Please take note that we are now meeting in Ford Hall, Room 101; date and time remain unchanged. Thanks for the interest, and I hope to see you all there next week!

-Jason

Perhap some organized carpooling for seattle-ites would be in order.

Please post here if you can offer or are seeking a ride.

Might I also suggest some pre-show consumption at the Skagit River Brewery?

Let me be the first to respond to my suggestions:

1) I can either offer or am happy to accept a ride

2) Yes, please (for the brewpub)!

Heinrich, I think we spoke briefly after Wayne's pictures a few months ago. Anyways, I think it's great that you guys are putting all these things on, thanks very much for the organization and hosting!

Anyone from the North want to carpool?

too Oh Six 779-75two6

Mr. Scurlock put on quite a show tonight- many thanks! Seeing his photos on the big screen really is amazing, a glimpse of winter in all of its savagery. If you ever have a chance to see John give a presentation, don't miss it! You might even get a pithy quote or two to round out your evening . . .

Thanks also to many who came from afar to see the presentation, it is always good to see some new faces at our small club.

Cheers, Jason

Hey Skagit Alpine Club,

Thanks for putting on a great show in a nice venue.

Thanks to Scurlock for the years of hard work that went into the "flight of fantasy" last night.

I was amazed by his (very humble) knowledge of the range and all of the little features that he could identify off the top of his head, from every possible angle....

Seeing Waddington and the Coast Range was fabulous, but I expecially enjoyed seeing things closer to home from a new perspective. Especially things that I may never see otherwise (i.e. intimate looks at the Pickets in winter, Slesse in winter, Mt Baker crater on new year's eve, lookout towers BURIED in snow, things like that).

Thanks again,

GB