Denali Expedition 2008 - Looking for 10-12 member

vertical_hiker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard Dawkins says that there are probably more atheists than there are Jews in the world, but they tend to be so independent and such freethinkers that they don't tend to organize and form lobbying groups like religious groups as the Jews have.

Just sayin'.

Got to bring the Jews into it now, eh?

Guess what! You don't know from free-thinking!

Rabbi.jpg

great! maybe all of us atheist should get together, pick a really cool spot, and declare it our homeland.

Good idea! How about Antarctica? Really cool! And a great place to contemplate your meaningless existence in the midst of G-d's spectacular creation.

And a great place to contemplate your meaningless existence in the midst of G-d's spectacular creation.

Hey, that meaninglessness of it all is my favorite part of living...! Why, hell, it's the quintessential LNT. Against that backdrop we create, propogate, and evolve a universe of stories which we try to pass from generation to generation for as long as we last. It's also not unlike the meaninglessness of rock - another medium we create our stories on. I consider all stories of gods as being rooted in fear which principally serve to placate and manipulate folks who can't live life with the ultimate boogey man - unanswered questions. Personally, the very idea of a god would remove all interest I have in doing FA's as it's the random meaninglessness that I'm counting on for a new story.

The "climbers on crusade" (according th VH) or whatever claim to want to just meet other climbers, hang out, help out bla bla.. yet all the while "KNOWING" that they have the only key to "salvation". With that kind of judgmental attitude already embedded in their little minds how would this be a basis for any kind of honest, open or even "casual" meeting?

Almost everything VH has said in his groups defense contradicts their own website. And Im not so sure that such a deeply held delusion as his/theirs does not in fact pose a danger in a mountaineering environment - "the forecast says no go, but I have heard the voice of the lord..."

Joseph,right on! What we have here, (to borrow a phrase) are wolves in sheep's garb. It really is just what the world doesn't need more of, shortsighted, preachy, condescending arrogance all rapped up in a nice package of smiles and deception.

well said

man, do you all have jobs? How do you post so much during the day? too much to read now, but I jumped to the end, seems the conversation went lame,...

I'm not going, nor do I have the time, to respond to much said, but I wanted to use this example (and there are others all over this board) of these judgmental and angry words used, without even knowing us. Just read above,... we are in your (dmuja) own words, and satisfyingly agreed by Pink "condescending, judgmental attitudes, wolves in sheep garb, arrogance, smiles packaged in nice deception, judgmental (did I say that)". Sounds like someone needs to point the finger in the other direction? Just a thought, but I was thinking maybe you ought to practice what you preach. I'm thinking I'm far from perfect and I may say some off things, but this is quite irrational, specially coming from climbers,...that is if you are serious climbers in the first place, maybe internet nerds, I don't know. I would think a climbing community would be a little more tolerant. I think if you got to know me, and I didn't tell you I was a Christian, I would be the guy in your workplace who works hard, and takes care of his friends, Christian or not, and I think we would dig each other, and I think you would speak differently of me. I think these internet forums are a facade of ranting and raving, placing prejudicial past experiences into present judgments, but each of us are different in person. Just a thought.

The difference is you're part of an extended fundamentalist community which seeks to spread it's influence across the globe. If you weren't, you'd wouldn't be taking your mission 'to places others can't or won't go' - and prayer wouldn't be the common reason you were on a mountain. I personally can't imagine the mountain or rock not being the essential reason I was there - it's the primacy of your mission and the fact you place it before, and drape it over, the mountain which so sets you apart from all the other folks there. The fact that you then go out of your way to let folks know the mountain is secondary to why you're there simply makes you that less welcome.