Denali Expedition 2008 - Looking for 10-12 member

vertical_hiker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I frequently shout out the Lord's name while climbing, particularly when the spirit, caught in the throes of His almighty power, sweeps my reluctant body away from the humble earth upon which it desperately clings.

I used to climb at the New where half the sport routes were bolted by a 6'4" giant named Doug Reed. It seemed that all the crux clips were above good ledges with the bolt just out of reach (if you were under 6'). So we dealt with it by taking a 12 inch runner and taping a stick inside it and using the stick clip to clip all the hard to reach bolts. We named it Jesus because "Jesus saves you from heinous whippers".

Being on a ledge without Jesus after a good run-out and with the bolt just out of reach was as close to God as I've ever gotten... If a Christian climber had been there to remind me to always climb with Jesus I might have clipped that bolt and redpointed the route. Unfortunately Jesus was down on the ground so I tried to clip off a crimper and whipped.

The "climbers on crusade" (according th VH) or whatever claim to want to just meet other climbers, hang out, help out bla bla.. yet all the while "KNOWING" that they have the only key to "salvation". With that kind of judgmental attitude already embedded in their little minds how would this be a basis for any kind of honest, open or even "casual" meeting?

Almost everything VH has said in his groups defense contradicts their own website. And Im not so sure that such a deeply held delusion as his/theirs does not in fact pose a danger in a mountaineering environment - "the forecast says no go, but I have heard the voice of the lord..."

Joseph,right on! What we have here, (to borrow a phrase) are wolves in sheep's garb. It really is just what the world doesn't need more of, shortsighted, preachy, condescending arrogance all rapped up in a nice package of smiles and deception.

The "climbers on crusade" (according th VH) or whatever claim to want to just meet other climbers, hang out, help out bla bla.. yet all the while "KNOWING" that they have the only key to "salvation". With that kind of judgmental attitude already embedded in their little minds how would this be a basis for any kind of honest, open or even "casual" meeting?

Almost everything VH has said in his groups defense contradicts their own website. And Im not so sure that such a deeply held delusion as his/theirs does not in fact pose a danger in a mountaineering environment - "the forecast says no go, but I have heard the voice of the lord..."

Joseph,right on! What we have here, (to borrow a phrase) are wolves in sheep's garb. It really is just what the world doesn't need more of, shortsighted, preachy, condescending arrogance all rapped up in a nice package of smiles and deception.

well said

...We share our faith, whether it's through love or through words, that's what Christians are supposed to do,...

IMO, the idea of "share the faith" (or "spread the faith") is the root cause of most problems. Unfortunately, this is a fundamental fault in the philosophy of several religions, including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam (often referred to as JCI religions in this context). The philosophy of certain other religions (such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism) advise letting the individual choose their own course, but then again, what the philosophy of a religion says, and how it gets interpreted, often have not matched.

I believe that there is one faith/religion on the mountain - and that is mountaineering (or climbing). Compared to, for example, poor children in a third world country who are starving due to famine, the folks on the mountain are up there entirely by their choice, and not by fate. Of course, there are times when a climber or a team needs help - and as truthful followers of the "religion" of mountaineering, other people on the mountain offer them the required help. There is no need for another faith up there. On a related note, think about the sherpas and other people for whom the mountain is the livelihood. Its a religion for them if you want to call it that, they worship mountains as gods. At the same time, I didn't get the impression that they try to "share their faith" in the same way as some others do.

Of course, VH has all the rights to advertise his mission. The web page makes it quite clear as well (as far as I can read), so its up to others to decide whether to participate or not. I personally would prefer not to see such endeavors though, just as much as I'd prefer not to see a basketballforchrist.com or soccerforallah.com or a runforbuddha.com.

What we have here, (to borrow a phrase) are wolves in sheep's garb. It really is just what the world doesn't need more of, shortsighted, preachy, condescending arrogance all rapped up in a nice package of smiles and deception.

Sounds like you're describing certain regulars on this website.

Or ...

Hillary_Rodham_Clinton.jpg

Ignorance is what drives all persecution.

I would rather climb with these guys than with the Korean team that got air lifted off of the Cassin at 17K two years in a row and never once even thanked the rescue team.

You poor schmucks have a need to hate.

I mock your arrogant assumptions that you know the motives of every Christian who was ever alive.

Of course, VH has all the rights to advertise his mission. The web page makes it quite clear as well (as far as I can read), so its up to others to decide whether to participate or not. I personally would prefer not to see such endeavors though, just as much as I'd prefer not to see a basketballforchrist.com or soccerforallah.com or a runforbuddha.com.

My personal favorite group is Bong Hits for Jesus. How could you dislike a group like that?

And everybody stop calling vertical hiker VH; that abbreviation is reserved for Van Halen.

it's common knowledge that it is ok to be prejudice...as long as it is against christians.

all this thread is:

a (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

if there is a god, which i don't know if there is, i would think he would be god dam proud of his creation.

HE is. After God finished the creation God said it was good.

Nature, the mountains, you, JH, VH, everyone on this page. Rather we believe in God or not, God still believes in us humans.

Edited by sirwoofalot

that's funny, whoever said there is no need to pray in public? Jesus prayed in private and in public. He even raised his hands to the heavens in front of the 5000 people while feeding them. Just a little correction. I'm not going to argue with you though. We don't really stand in circles on the mountain, and face the sky, hands turned up,...we actually pray in our warm mega-mid kitchen tent. However, if I saw someone praying to buddha outside, or skiing down naked from 16k feet, yoga, etc., go for it. Why not? Let them do it. That's there thing. Whom am I to say what they can and can't do on the mountain? Where's the tolerance from those who preach that Christians don't have any?

"Is there a problem with that? "

yes, around these parts. ...unfortunately....

if you would be up there PREACHING about the glaciers melting, you'd probably get support. preaching about how america is the devil...again, support.

but offer help and mention that you are christian - well, you've seen what happens

this place is a joke!

As for an agenda, sure, I would like to make the summit again, hang out with friends, hang out with new people, hopefully get a chance to help people where help is needed, we just want to be a blessing on the mountain. Is there a problem with that?

Then why is it climbingforchrist.com, and not something like climbingforfun.com?

Note that I do not have anything against Christ itself. I would've complained even if it were climbingformoses.com, or climbingfor.com for whatever yourgod is.

Edited by pup_on_the_mountain