[TR] Poison Creek, near Marsing - ice climbing rec

mccallboater

Trip: Poison Creek, near Marsing - ice climbing recon, a little early

Date: 12/12/2007

Trip Report:

Had a great day scoping out rock and ice potential about 45 minutes to the trailhead from downtown Boise and 20 minutes from the car walking up and over sage covered hills. The Jump Creek and Poison Creek drainages are surprisingly interesting (more pics) with compact, knobby, solid rock encompasing everything from pitch-long freestanding pillars to 4-5 pitch walls with not much pro.

Gotta have a helmet on for lunch, right?

DSCN0450.jpg

The ice was just starting to form up. By mid-winter this spot could get very interesting.

Gear Notes:

Not knowing what to expect, we took way too much stuff. Look for single manky bolts at the top of ice pitches. For trad climbing, bring gear for off-widths in addition to a standard trad rack. Most long routes have walk offs. Bring one rope.

Approach Notes:

PM me for details. One passes through private property gates on a county road to get there. Nice people, but they deserve some respectful advance warning of your plans. The climbs are all on BLM land though.

Edited by mccallboater

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what lines are you thinking freeze up at the Dome?

Brown Sugar and Sticky Fingers would appear to be likely candidates, they being bolt-protected and next to water grooves...

Spill, Kurt!

2 lines directly across the river from the roadside sport routes we climbed. they look like WI3 and WI5 respectively, probably long 1 pitch routes. They're hard to see through the trees, but they're there. I think the handcrack just left of the sport routes freezes too as it is a water groove with moss and drips year round. supposedly the falls just right of the Road Warrior area freezes on occasion at WI2ish.

there are a few more by Lewiston that I can point out too. Milepost 18 on Hwy 12 east, and out at MP 118 (or so) there are a few unclimbed falls too.

sad that I moved before i ticked them all...

Are you talking about across the river from the Power Pole spot routes? Approach would "adventuresome" in winter, to say the least...

Falls right of RW, eh? Yah, I could see that, and at a very rambly WI-2 as well. Not worth the trip from the Tri for the quality. However, Lewiston is at the halfway point from here. Could do some poaching this winter... :eveeel:

I have seen some ice in the river gorges down near lewiston, but nothing worth driving far for. This was in an exceptionlly cold, snowy winter a few back. I wouldn't count on those lines forming in most years. I would be anything you climb down there would be a FA. Apparently there aren't many climbers in that camaro sporting, def lep rocking hole.

PS Sobo, if you are ice poaching in Lewiston, does that mean you'll take 45 extra minutes to come deliver my frosty adult beverages?

PS Sobo, if you are ice poaching in Lewiston, does that mean you'll take 45 extra minutes to come deliver my frosty adult beverages?

I sure would. I have not forgotten your generosity, as much as it may seem that I have. Can that stuff be shipped in the mail, or do you prefer a delivery service with that personal touch?