Warmest gloves in the universe?

archenemy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is "gloves" once you seperate the fingers it's a lot more difficult to keep them warm.

Get any old pair of gloves with a shell and a liner and add one of those disposable heat pack thingies. I usually put it between the liner and the shell on the back of my hand.

The warmest gloves I've used are Dachstein boiled wool mitts. They are the shizzle.

if cost is not an issue then those battery powered heated ones from the Sharper Image might be good.

Unless said hands are super tiny, BD Guide + heatshake packs are good.

If opinion can be swayed to the mitten side, boiled wool are absolutely the best. They can be totally soaked and still pretty warm. Tough to find around here, but can order them online from Ortovox.

warmest gloves in the universe right here:

PI-8763-BK_lrg.jpg

Pearl Izumi Lobster Glove

These gloves will stop the whining.

I've got Raynaud's(which makes extremities hypersensitive to cold), and even on a 2-3hr bike ride in wet, sub-40 degree temps, these gloves keep my hands unbelievably toasty. I wish they made them for feet, too.

I've never understood lobster gloves. The increase in dexterity is small compared to the loss of warmth.

Oh wait, you use them biking so two fingers on the brake two on the bar. I get it.

Agreed, the two-prong design probably has more to do with it being intended for use as a cycling glove than anything else, but the way they compensate for any loss in warmth by splitting the fingers is to have an soft interior sleeve that envelops each finger separately. So it's kind of like a finger glove inside of a mitten, if that makes sense.

All I know is that it works. My hands are never cold. And that's saying a lot for me.

Ive got the OR Alti gloves while they keep my hands warm, (usually to warm) I rarely use them, sometimes in winter. I feel that i loose to much dexterity with them and are to heavy to take to just use in camp where i would use mittens instead anyways. But if absolute dexterity isn't an issue they are warm for me.

I've read good things about the marmot work gloves...

I switch between the work gloves and the BD Guides. I think the BD's are warmer, but the work gloves provide more dexterity.

What about battery powered glove liners? Seriously, you could wear the gloves in the off mode until it got too cold then just turn them on as needed. Hell, I may even look into it!

Archy, You've probably already gone there but I would consider talkin with her about Reynauds syndrome. Like sherri commented cold hands are usually how this manifests. But it is not just about the cold hands. It is a physiological response to percieved cold. The noggin just shuts down the hands "early." No matter what you do for gloves it won't help. Start with makin sure a hat is involved and good core heat regulation. All those little things so that the brain thinks it is warm.

Of course warm gloves really help too but if it is connected to a physiological response it will be better to have good sleeves, good jacket, warm hat all those parts too.

It is a physiological response to percieved cold. The noggin just shuts down the hands "early." No matter what you do for gloves it won't help. Start with makin sure a hat is involved and good core heat regulation. All those little things so that the brain thinks it is warm.

Of course warm gloves really help too but if it is connected to a physiological response it will be better to have good sleeves, good jacket, warm hat all those parts too.

Excellent points, Ketch.

I believe concept of "perceived cold" is significant in Reynauds. I can be perfectly warm in the house, but the mere thought of going out for a ride or run on a cold day will cause my fingers begin to discolor. Freaky.

It is a physiological response to percieved cold. The noggin just shuts down the hands "early." No matter what you do for gloves it won't help. Start with makin sure a hat is involved and good core heat regulation. All those little things so that the brain thinks it is warm.

Excellent points, Ketch.

I believe concept of "perceived cold" is significant in Reynauds. I can be perfectly warm in the house, but the mere thought of going out for a ride or run on a cold day will cause my fingers begin to discolor. Freaky.

No kidding! I've been dealing with the "white finger" for years and I never thought about it that way.

Free your mind... your ass will follow.

OMG! I want those!

If you can’t find them online, look for trigger finger gloves at Federal Army-Navy in downtown Seattle. They’re on 1st Ave. between Virginia and Bell (I can’t recall exactly where). No guarantees, but it’s the sort of thing they would have.

They would likely have only the wool liners. It would be quite a surprise if they have the trigger-finger overmitts. In my experience those are uncommon but if you find them they are almost certainly authentic because there is not enough of a market for them to attract the Asian knockoff shops. But still, caveat emptor.

I likewise suffer from Reynauds. I've found that one solution is to carry two pairs of gloves - one well fitting glove that you use for most purposes -- but to also carry another pair of gloves that are 1 size too big. Once my fingers go numb there is nothing I can do to return the feeling until I switch out my gloves for my larger pair. I usually leave the larger pair on for 30 minutes to an hour before the numbness goes away and then I switch back.

Mitts work well for skiing - but if you need to do any rope-work you need gloves and the larger size seems to enable me to still do things like clip biners and tie knots.

I wear size medium and carry one pair of M tight fitting whatever gloves (I seem to trash gloves easily so I go through 2-3 pairs a season) and 1 pair of L Patagonia gloves that I've had for about 4 seasons. The larger pair doesn't see much use so they've lasted for a while.