Kid Carriers for Long Day Hikes

Jason_Martin

So what kind of packs are you guys using to carry your little ones around on your backs in the mountains...?

I'm definately planning on doing some long day hikes with my daughter. we may even do some light overnights. I'm looking for something that would fit the bill for this kind of thing.

I've been looking at the Kelty Kids Adventure. Does anybody have any experience with this pack? If you don't have this pack what do you like or dislike about the one you do have?

Jason

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Kelty that has been good and has survived 2 kids, not sure the exact model name though. It has a plastic frame that folds out so it is free standing. I was thinking of selling it now that my youngest is 2.5 and able to hike on her own most of the time. Seems Kelty has a lot of nice kids packs. Hope that helps.

We used a Kelty pack that we bought at REI, but I can't remember the model name. It's in the garage somewhere, but I doubt they make that same model now. Our oldest is nine and it made it through all 3 kids no problem. Most of my friends had Kelty packs and I never heard any complaints from them though no one I knew did overnights, just day hikes.

I've used both the Kelty pathfinder and explorer (older model), the explorer is more comfortable for heavier loads/longer time but both are very good. Avoid the models with "climbing rope" handles as they are coarse and uncomfortable on the back of your neck.

Also, be careful my son is 4 1/2 and got so used to the pack that he would rather be carried than walk on a trail. It was hard to break him of the expectation to be carried all the time.

we had good luck with the Kelty. It held up well and was pretty easy to get my son in and out of. chutch makes a good point but we had the opposite problem. My son was in and out of it a multiple times on every hike. He'd get out and hike/run until he was tired and whiny, back in the pack for a while and then back on the ground. The Keltys are easy on/off which is nice.

Also, be careful my son is 4 1/2 and got so used to the pack that he would rather be carried than walk on a trail. It was hard to break him of the expectation to be carried all the time.

We just quite bringing the pack so my 2 year old does not have the option anymore. Course, the whining has not stopped.

We were given an off-brand pack for the first kid, which turned out to be a pretty damned good carrier.

For the second Thing, we bought a Kelty (can't remember the exact model, but will look them both up when I get home). We aren't nearly as pleased with the Kelty as we are with the no-name brand.

The no-namer rides better, it's easier on and off, and it carries way more shite for the youngling than the Kelty can. YMMV.

I used a Kelty explore or expedition, can’t remember now. It is about 12 years ago, and I just checked out kelty.com and could not find it. (Go figure.) It had a bag under the child that was removable, stirrups for the child’s feet, and a shade covering that I never used. Mine was rated to 60 pounds total weight and I took it there many times…..

When it was time for my daughter to get in my son had to start waking. Sorry, no weaning curve for my son, no option, and my daughter just wanted out of so she could run with her elder brother.

Really it was used much more for coming out. They usually did not last more than 3 to 5 minutes on the way out before they fell asleep. That was tough to get them centered and asleep; nothing like 30 pounds leaning to the side.

I seem to remember when I was looking into buying mine there was the Kelty brand and then one other. The Kelty line was functional, and the other seemed to be more fissional.

Again, we are talking about several years ago.

The bottom line is IT ROCKED.

In retrospect I kind of wonder if it was the carrier or just the fact I was getting my children out there.

Oh, one more VERY important thing.

Make sure it has a five (5) point restraining system, AND USE IT.

I was crossing a stream with my daughter, slipped on a rock and lunged forward. I don’t know why I put hand up, but I was surprised when I caught my daughter! My wife freaked and I almost pee my paints.

OK, Jason, here's the deal...

The "no-name" carrier is made by Tough Traveler out of Schenectady, NY. This is a pack that, had it not been given to us, I never would have considered (no name recognition). However, it rocked. Both of our kids found it comfortable to ride in, it balances on the parent's back nicely, has ample storage capacity for diapers, wipes, bottles, clothes, etc., plus a little bit of your own shite. I fashioned a sort of stirrup set-up for my "vertically-challenged" daughter rather easily, although my long-legged son found it easy enough to use the frame as "morocycle footpegs" by hooking his heels to the inside and duck-pointing his feet outwards. It has well-padded shoulder straps, a foam-inside-mesh backpad with a central aluminum stay, and a really comfy waistbelt. The suspension system sort of seems to have been modeled after the Lowe Alpine style of system. In short, the whole family enjoyed trips when we took it out. I can't find a model name on it, but it sure as hell looks a lot like the Stallion. Ours looks exactly like the one that the snow-shoveling woman is wearing in the Stallion linky. The colors and some features have changed (ours is a teal color, without the open mesh pocket nor reflector strip :rolleyes:).

Like I said, at ~$200/pop, I never would have looked at this thing. But friends whose kids had outgrown it bequeathed it to us, in the sure knowledge that we'd put it to good use. We have, and will continue to do so until Elaina gets too big (Nicholas doesn't need one anymore).

Then when we got Elaina, we bought a Kelty Kids "Tour" model so we would have two carriers. Not such a good purchase. No storage capacity whatsoever, she hated sitting in it, and we hated the ride. In short, it was always a painful parental experience to try to take the two of them out together, and we can't even bring ourselves to take the Kelty out again. I wouldn't even give it away to anyone I knew or would hope to remain friends with. It's that bad. HTH.