Gunks in winter?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ice climbing in the gunks is ephemeral at best, and illegal at worst. There are a few WI4's and 5's that form, but never for very long. The gunks face south east and have plenty of exposure to the sun. You will find people rock climbing in the gunks year round. As long as you stay on the white faces, and in the middle of the cliff, it's warm and nice. I've climbed in a tee shirt comfortable from convection heating, while it was freezing cold with snow on the ground.

The catskills have quite decent ice, and some pretty hard mixed stuff. The daks are a lot further away, but well worth the trip. The daks are pretty much in now, and I doubt the ice goes anywhere before March.

Definitely check out NEIce.com

Ditto that. Ken's Crack freezes once in a blue moon. The Daks (2 hrs north) is where it's at and NEIce.com as the previous poster suggested in the best resource.

Layback has obviously erased the drive from his memory. I suppose that living in the land of his dreams has caused some selective filtering...it's about 3.5 hours from New Paltz to Keene.

Every time I go home my friends laugh at my time estimates and always plan a couple of extra hours for the drive. Last year I told my buddies that we should go to the Daks from CT instead of North Conway, NH because the Daks would just be 3 hours as opposed to 5.5 to North Conway. Man did I hear it when we arrived at the TH at 11:00 AM instead of the targeted 8:00 AM start.

I think Crackers is probably right.