crampons

johnny

I recently bought a pair of Sportiva Trango's with the goal of doing some longer moderate alpine rock routes. I'd like to be able to climb and approach in the same boot. Does anyone have any suggestions about crampons for them and which bindings will work. It has been a while since I have been on the snow and I am not too up to speed on what is available these days........

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, are the crampons you mentioned, the Stubai's flexible? What you say makes sense about using flexible ones for this boot but so does Will's advice about using rigid ones. I would think I would be more comfortable on steeper stuff with rigid crampons.....Whatever will I do? You two could rock/paper/scissors to see who is closer to the ever longed for cup of absolute truth.......

I have an old pair of Koflach rigid plastics too, perhaps I should buy something that will work on both?

the tyrols are semi flexible. i think that a totally rigid crampon will pull off of a flexible boot more easily because the boot will flex off the crampon. the semi-auto crampons would work with both riged and flexible boots with a heel welt. the totally flexible crampons with quick strap set up will work with anything.

Scott makes a good point about the flexibles. You'll be able to get a variety of use out of them, and they won't likely come off, but if the going gets steep enough to front-point, your calves will probably enjoy the rigids. Maybe an all-strap rigid would solve the problem (if anyone actually makes them). Wonder what those world cup ice dudes are using? I saw a pic that looked like they had on something barely beefier than a rock shoe and some funky looking crampons as well (with mono-heel points). Good luck.

If you are doing long moderate climbs in the cascades you probably want crampons that are light, go to Jim Nelson's store's or web site, ProMountainSports.com Look at the flexable aluminium crampons, he's got quite a selection. Talk to anyone who has any and you'll find they bring them 90% of the time in the cascades. None of the big stores like REI carry aluminium crampons.

[This message has been edited by Drangsholt (edited 07-05-2001).]

Trango Extreme's will take pure step-ins since they have a front lip for the bail. Trango Plus or LT will require a "Newmatic" type with a strap-basket kind of thing in front and a bail in the rear. Either way, with a boot that flexible you'll want a rigid frame crampon and make the back bail tension very tight otherwise you might flex the boot right off the crampon. FWIW,

WS

the stubai tyrol combi works well with the trango plus. the heel welt on the boot is really tiny, though, and makes me insecure. i can pull the rear crampon bail off of the heel welt with very little effort no matter how tight i fit the crampons to the boot. however, it has not come off on its own yet. i think when it is strapped on it is pretty secure. but i would consider totally flexible lightweight strap on crampons for this sort of thing, also because you can put them on tennis shoes or approach shoes for a lightweight option.