[TR] Big Chiwaukum - The Rimatorium 12/10/2007

tvashtarkatena

Trip: Big Chiwaukum - The Rimatorium

Date: 12/10/2007

Trip Report:

Big Chiwaukum 12/6-7/2007

“Wow. Avalanche swaths punching right through thick forest. You don’t see that every day,” I thought to myself as I skied up Pine Creek .

Moderate avalanche and weather forecasts prompted me to give Big Chiwaukum another shot, given that I missed that target by more than a mile a couple of weeks ago. This time I opted for skis rather than snowshoes.

The road wasn’t plowed, so I logged a few extra miles each way over “pillow snow”, a 60 grit crust over heavy powder; really one of the worst snow surfaces I’ve ever had the pleasure of skiing. I quickly snapped one of my ski poles in half and replaced with a stick.

Arriving at 5400 feet just after dark, I threw down my extra long zero degree goretex lined bag; a real monster (the down collar is alone is probably bigger than my summer bag) and settled in. I awoke for the midnight bathroom break and checked the altimeter; a moderate 23 F.

I started the following day at 7:30; perfect for sunrise photos. I traversed beneath the peak; it looked as though everything above me had thoroughly avalanched; a good thing. The snowpack was awful; an inch of powder over a rock hard, bumpy crust. At least it was stable. Up higher, more 60 grit crust over ankle to knee deep powder. Comically awful. The going was slow. Too slow.

Long story short, I hit an empasse on the ridge 100 feet below the summit; rimed over cliffs all around. Probably an easy 4th or 5th downclimb in summer, but with tely boots and stick, not the best option at the moment. The wind was blowing 15 mph in a full white out. It was getting late. Bailing was never so easy.

I skied about a mile and a half of road and, to my great pleasure, the rest had been plowed. Every once in a while, you get a break.

2102376402_13e65493c3.jpg

Big Chiwaukum at dawn

2102292704_4d67052989_o.jpg

Sunrise panorama

2101509239_16490d5d36.jpg

Sunrise, looking west

2101507955_c9b821a766.jpg

Morning alpenglow

2101508119_22ab465613.jpg

Lichen hatching from a rime egg

2101506791_51542ce16b.jpg

Avi gulley coming down from the summit

2102286654_ff3dec6611_o.jpg

Big Chiwaukum panorama, from the west

2101508395_69c0536655.jpg

Miniature rime forest. These 4 inch long crystals grew straight up (summit ridge)

2101508539_741b51ca5b.jpg

Rime closeup

2101508683_daab3ecf02.jpg

Rimed rock (summit ridge)

2101508897_9df94481dc.jpg

‘Furry’ rocks (summit ridge)

2101508981_b475f2db75_o.jpg

Frozen world (summit ridge)

2101506995_a705fc1229.jpg

Cheney-faced at my high point, 100 feet below the summit

2102288958_bc88235ef1.jpg

The way home (summit ridge)

2104189256_087e48abbe_o.jpg

Parting shot: A well avalanched mountain

2102287994_160dd44153.jpg

‘Pillow snow’ on the road out

Gear Notes:

Tely skis

Approach Notes:

Pine Ck to Wildcat Ck trail. Be prepared to ski most of the road.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out at Source Lake the day of your trip and I can attest, the snow was flipping horrible. I thought I was going to break my skis a couple of times.

The photos are magnificent as always - especially the hoar shots. I have to ask though, do your climbing/skiing partners ever get impatient with your shutterbug-itis?

I was solo on the last two backcountry trips, so no partner considerations. I carry a Canon Powershot on my waist belt, so shooting doesn't take long. If I'm going to dweeb a while on some macro shots, I just let my partner(s) go ahead and catch up with them when I'm done. I don't use a tripod, so even macros go quickly.

In any case, I've never had a problem in this regard. Most people are more than happy to be the star in a hero shot now and then.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

nice pics,

i skiied a little up there yesterday, starting from 21pines, shitty snow for sure.

nice cheny pic, I remmember ~7years ago about this time of year, I was postholeing around (with a rifle of all things) on shadow mtn outside of jackson, and near the top of the "mtn." was a huge fenced off area, with barb wire, hummers, sattilite dish, and military personel, apparently there for security of the tender vice president(who vacations there)- like he needs it, the man is deadly with a shotgun.

im pretty sure Harrison ford kicked his ass there at a local bar, at least that is what the regular patrons told me.

Edited by danhelmstadter

When I read this, I knew/know the EXACT spot you stopped short of the summit, cuz I stopped in the EXACT same spot when I went thru there last winter in an epic ski from Chatter Creek up over Snowgrass and Big Chiwaukum, then north over McCue Ridge and out past the Scottish Lakes skicamp village. I can attest, that last notch before the summit is life threatening when plastered with snow & ice - your photos seem like they were taken on my trip! In summer, probably a class 3 or 4 scramble. Anyways, just wanted to commiserate.

• 2 weeks later...