Collapsable Pole Recommendations?

jon

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the flicklock mechanism as well, and have BD B/C Poles. When shopping for new summer poles this year though, from a pure weight standpoint, I ended up going with the REI carbon fiber vs. the BD carbon fiber because they were lighter. The key advantages of the flikloc is the ability to adjust with gloves (not as much of a factor in summer), and the one of the key problems with the twist-locking is they get fouled by aluminum oxidation, among other things if you don't keep them clean....again, less of an issue with carbon fiber.

I've used both flicklock and twist mechanisms quite extensively and I think the twisties are a little easier to deal with as long as you tune them up once a season or so. Take them apart, clean the inside of the barrel and the screw threads with steel wool, lube the threads, and rough up the gripper with 60 grit sandpaper. Athletic tape on the pole sleeves above the twist lock and down near the bail really helps provide "traction" for untwisting them, too. The flick locks, if tight enough to avoid slipping, can be difficult to unlock.

With either type, don't take them to the ski resort where you are going to pound on them. Since you won't be skinning uphill, there is really little need for adjustable poles at the resort and you're better off using cheapo's from Salvation Army.

Does BD still have that "binary" system on some of their poles. Mine have the flicklock on the top section, and this wierd covered button thing on the bottom section. It sucks. It's never broken, but it is ALWAYS a pain to collapse with gloves on (sometimes even without). It's a dumb idea and not a new feature (I got mine on a warranty exchange for some other poles), two flicklock mechanisms are better.

So of course singing its praises, I broke the strap on one of my BD flintlock poles today. Are those tabs easy to get a hold of? Anybody know?

BTW, the powder was incredible at Loveland today. A balmy 8 degrees with winds from 40 mph headwind on Chair 4 to non-existent in the trees.

I have BD flicklock, with the the little button jobby, and they work well, though I agree that the bottom can be hard to collapse if they are iced up and you happen to be wearing mitts over gloves.

also, the more oval shape is much easier to manipulate than circular poles -- easier to grip when locking, unlocking. I got my wife some BD flicklock that are circular (replaced twisty REI brand, which were horrible) and they are a little harder to work with in the cold, though they do have locks in both sections.

the flicklocks stay extended better than the twistys, but a hard fall or near fall and they'll compress on you.

I have DB Carbon poles and really like them. I had a really bad experience with the little button thingy on some older BD poles. I'll never buy poles with a button release again. The twist lock is OK, but the flicklock is easier to use in cold temps.

I see Dyanfit has some light carbon poles out. Anyone have some experience with them?

-r

Another note - this may be a no-brainer, but always pull your poles apart into individual pieces when you get back from a trip to let them dry. If you leave them collapsed or even just put toghether all the time, especially wet, they tend to corrode over time, and even a little corrosion on them makes them tend to stick more when you try to get them apart or adjust them.