[TR] Mt. Thielsen log jumping - 12/9/2007

Mon_Col

Trip: Mt. Thielsen log jumping -

Date: 12/9/2007

Trip Report:

After being inspired by the TR's on winter Thielsen climbs I felt it was time to do it myself.

My friend and I followed the blue diamonds out of the parking lot. The trail was easy enough aside from the occasional downed tree along the way.

The real fun began after the trail junction at about 2 miles. The trail, and everything within sight, was covered by downed trees. Thinking we could get through it with only a slight delay we began hopping, crawling, cussing and falling our way through the mess. A check of our watches told us it had taken about 45 minutes to go 50 yards. With no end in sight, and realizing that even if we found the end of these blowdowns we would most likely just have to turn around and come back, we decided to turn around.

Curious if there was a way around the mess, we backtracked south along the trail and tried to head west again but were blocked again by downed trees.

I just wanted to post this for anyone who was thinking, like me, that Thielsen might be a fun climb this winter.

Has anyone been up there lately? Know a way around the trees?

Log_mess.jpg

mike.jpg

Stoked!

Approach Notes:

Trail to westside ridge totally blocked

Gear Notes:

teleportation devices recommended

Edited by Mon_Col

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone tried taking the trail to Thielsen lately? I'm trying to organize a day-trip with some newbies and remember Thielsen being pretty easy a few years ago (minus the summit block which we simply didn't bother with), but obviously the trail was fairly clear. Has enough snow packed down to cover or mostly cover the fallen trees?