• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
builder206

source for equipment sled?

Anyone know a source for sleds suitable for hauling gear behind a skier or skiers? For example, the sort of sled that could be used to haul gear for a lengthy trip up glaciers/ice fields in Alaska or the Coast Range. I have googled different terms and find only kid's sleds or Iditarod dog race stuff.

thanks

Did you check out the one REI sells... http://www.rei.com/product/609482?vcat=REI_SEARCH . We used them doing the north side of Denali and they were great until the 30+ mile tundra slog on the way out, at which time they got holes underneath from all the rocks we had to pull them over. I'd probably still be using it now if the snow had not melted by the time we descended. They were a lot bigger than the little kid sleds too. The ones Pink mentioned are nice but i'm guessing the REI ones cost much less.

I can't believe I was gullible enough to click the link.

I've only used the kid sleds around the Cascades and they wear out pretty quickly. I can check with a friend to see what he used on Denali.

We sure got alot more than $30 worth of use out of ours and they do hold up well as long as you are keeping them on the snow. If you put a load that is at all high profile they tend to flip over easily though... which is an obvious pain in the ass to keep fixing. I think we even had em rigged up with a shovel or something on the back to act as a brake so they would not slide back on the hills. Can't really remember the jerry rig we made though.

I've a pulk to sell w/ poles and harness. Hand made. Field reparable. Shorter and ligher than most expeditions sleds.

$50