source for equipment sled?

builder206

Anyone know a source for sleds suitable for hauling gear behind a skier or skiers? For example, the sort of sled that could be used to haul gear for a lengthy trip up glaciers/ice fields in Alaska or the Coast Range. I have googled different terms and find only kid's sleds or Iditarod dog race stuff.

thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you check out the one REI sells... http://www.rei.com/product/609482?vcat=REI_SEARCH . We used them doing the north side of Denali and they were great until the 30+ mile tundra slog on the way out, at which time they got holes underneath from all the rocks we had to pull them over. I'd probably still be using it now if the snow had not melted by the time we descended. They were a lot bigger than the little kid sleds too. The ones Pink mentioned are nice but i'm guessing the REI ones cost much less.

We sure got alot more than $30 worth of use out of ours and they do hold up well as long as you are keeping them on the snow. If you put a load that is at all high profile they tend to flip over easily though... which is an obvious pain in the ass to keep fixing. I think we even had em rigged up with a shovel or something on the back to act as a brake so they would not slide back on the hills. Can't really remember the jerry rig we made though.