Winter Camping/Backpacking

hobart22

I am looking to do either some winter camping or easy backpacking. Other than bringing addition fuel and warm layers, what is necessary to do this safely?

Also, what areas in Western Washington are good to check out?

If other messageboards would be more appropriate to post this question on, please let me know!

thanks so much

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about snow camping/hiking, or just backpacking in rainy Washington in the winter?

The Paradise area at Mt. Rainier is a great and safe place to learn and practice snow camping, assuming the road stays open this year. There are several areas within easy walking distance that people camp in. Snow caving or tent camping are interesting and enjoyable. You need a 4 season tent, and a warm sleeping bag and insulating pad. A shovel is also a necessity, even if you're tent camping. You also need a way to travel on snow, such as skis or snowshoes.

There are good chapters on snow camping in Mountaineering, 7th edition, for more info. Good luck.

Scrambled, I'm looking for snow camping/hiking. Sorry for the confusion!

I live in seattle.

I'd like to do some easy backpacking in the snow, probably on snow shoes. I'd like to gain some experience in the snow before I push it much beyond that.

thanks all!

tromp around snoq pass area. Up to source lake or common wealth basin. You could basically get a hiking guidebook and find a trail with a lake to go to and camp. Chances are for snoq pass area, those trails will be packed out for most of the winter.

Usual reservations- Learn to evaluate avalanche conditions. Listen to professional avi advice (NWAC) and believe it. People have died on the trail to source lake and almost everywhere else that seems "safe".

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, more than anything else, gene and Bug have hit the highlight. Learn something about avalanche awareness and terrain traps - before you go!

A lousy sleeping bag, a tempermental stove, or shitty clothing choices will certainly make for one long miserable night out, but you will in all probability survive to make it back to your car and laugh about it over a few brews with your buds at the bar. But not paying attention to weather cycles, avalanche loading patterns, and terrain traps will kill you quicker than shit. Just plain dead. If you need more proof, see this thread and this one, too.

...what is necessary to do this safely?...

Just got back from a week of backcountry skiing north of Vancouver (some hut based). Lots of stuff to be mindful of; however, top of list for me over the last week (especially if travelling alone as I was) is:

- a good, but adaptable, plan with modest objectives;

- disciplined moisture management techinques with respect to clothing and clothing management (i.e., you can get away with remarkably little clothing if you focus on layering and delayering as necessary to stay as dry as possible);

- yummy food to keep your body fueled and happy;

- solid/dependable gear; and,

- humbility (i.e., put another way, do your best to look for and avoid potential risks (like avalanches) so you can live to play another day, but leave lots of room for error).

you will need a stove board of some kind so the stove doesn't melt down into the snow.

bring a shovel and use the back of it for a stove rest.

All the winter stuff is, for the most part, heavy as shite. A major challenge is keeping your pack light. being able to cut things from the pack (safely) can save you a lot of backache. Try towing a sled too.

Learn how to dig a snow cave too. That can be very helpful.